Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has come up before, but I am in the process of swapping out my old 283 with a new 383 stroker. I am wondering if I should upgrade to alternator and what's involved. Does the regulator come out and if yes, What happens to that wiring?
Thanks

·
Registered
170 Posts
If it was my car I would get rid of the generator, why deal with 50 year old teechnology when the alternator is smaller and less prone to problems and parts are readily available. As for the wring, that part I'm not 100% on, but you should consider putting in a new wiring harness for the vehicle, they are available for under $200.00 and one less thing to worry about. Also modern fuses.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Yeah, modern technology, I agree. I did disc brake all 'round last year and new 600 steering box. I'm not much into wiring, but new alternator seems the way to go. I'll look into new harness and see what an amateur like me can do with it.

·
Super Moderator
10,796 Posts
When you say a NEW 383 Stroker , are you talking a Crate Engine right out of the box ? Turn key engine will come with alternator , but partial won't.

Alternators

1 - 8 of 8 Posts