Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 5th bent wheel rim you on my 2008 Impala. Yes I hit a pot hole, but was not going fast. It seems like there was an another issue with car. It is always the same wheel and the other wheels hit potholes although I do miss most of them.

Someone suggested steal rims, but not an option for my make/model? How about????

Insurance doesn't cover this due to individual cost but 5 x (rim + tire) adds up quickly.

·
Registered
405 Posts
So you do not rotate your tires? Is it the same position/place wheel that has the issue? What tire pressures are you running? To save some money, you could have them straightened. I have a local place that does this. The good part never had to use them.

Pat

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No time to rotate. All new tires 3 months ago. I have a bent or cracked rim on front right and one on back right.

I have a recommendation of switching to 16inch rim for a wider side.

May just sell the car at this point and purchase a truck after i replace the tire the 5th time.

·
Registered
405 Posts
You did not elaborate on tire pressures! Also size of tire would help. Assuming from your previous statement that you are runnning 17" ? If so you could go to 225 65 17 for a taller side wall.
Pat

·
Registered
177 Posts
Having formerly lived in the rustbelt/land of potholes, I am well familiar with them, but never had a bent wheel (much less five) during the 30+ years I was there. However, I did know of some people who were always having to repair suspensions and replace the occasional wheel because of hard driving habits. That being said, I have to wonder if there is some element of operator contribution to the issue here (?). Unless you are obtaining all of your replacement wheels from a dubious source or they are coming to you pre-bent or pre-weakened (if purchased used), statistically, it would be very unusual to have five bad rims in a row under reasonable driving conditions.

Sorry, not trying to pick a fight, just making an observation. I honestly cannot think of a reason the car by itself would be bending wheels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You did not elaborate on tire pressures! Also size of tire would help. Assuming from your previous statement that you are runnning 17" ? If so you could go to 225 65 17 for a taller side wall.
Pat
I was
Pat
I was told to get steel rims with 16" so that it had more rubber. I decided to fix the 19" pretty rim and tire then sell

·
Registered
38 Posts
Honestly this sounds like a classic case of "Owner neglect" or "Misuse" . ive have the same rims on my car (aluminum) and hit pot holes going pretty fast and had no bent rims in the year that ive owned it. My advice is pay more attention to the road and slow down when coming to pot holes. Also if your tires are to thin than that will cause bent rims and cracked rims fast.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts