Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. So lately my car has been running a little rough. It idles just fine but when you try to get a little heavy on the accelerator, it like bogs out if that makes any sense. And it doesnt accelerate nearly as fast as it used to. Its fine when you are lightly accelerating but when you try medium to heavy acceleration, it just feels really rough. And if I put it in the low gear and take it a little high into the RPMs, it will backfire. I didnt know if maybe it is a distributer/point rotor problem or carb problem or even something in the block. Anyone got any ideas to this?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
What year is it. When was the last tune-up done.?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1970 and plugs, wires, and fuel filter were done about 2 months ago and distributer was done in april

·
Registered
8 Posts
Carberetor might be a good place to go. Has it ever been rebuilt. Another thing to consider is the camshaft. If your motor has never been apart, it's possible that over the years, the cam lobes have begun, or succeeded in rounding off. If they've done that, the valves can't open nearly enough to allow larger amounts of air/fuel into the cylinders causing your bog down on heavier throttle. Too much fuel and nowhere to go quickly enough will cause popping back through the carb.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Start small...check to make sure no plug wires are burnt or arching. When its dark outside pop the hood and see if you can see any arcing from a wire to the manifold, etc. A lot of times you wont notice a miss-fire until you get into the higher RPM range if you have a wire laying on a hot manifold.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts