Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1994 Impala SS. Im looking to get more performance than 260hp. I looked around the forum and see guys talk about converting the 350 to a 383 and some use a crate 383. My questions are which one is better for performance, gas, price and easier on labor? Also what are the pro/cons for each when it comes to other upradges on the rest of the car? Reviews on your own experience are much appreciated...

·
Registered
116 Posts
What is your budget and what kind of power goals are you thinking of??? How many miles are on your impala? What condition is your motor in? If you want to stroke it.. find someone that knows the LT1. I know a couple from the other impala forum that can build you a great motor with great power. If you buy a crate motor.... dont just buy any 383, make sure it is a 383 from a LT1 short block. The LT1 is a reverse cooled engine and different from other 350 blocks. If you want a well built high horse power 383 LT1 be prepared to spend around 8-10 grand.

Now if you already have a motor that is in decent shape you can just add a set of Advanced Induction or LE ported heads, upgraded valve train with a matching cam. That alone gives you great power. Probably easily spend around 2-3, grand depending on what you get. This is what (Dwayne J) did.. and his caprice runs 11s. Im sure he will chime in .. he has a lot of good info about making these cars fast and cheaper than building an all out stroker.

There will be supporting modification to do for making extra power as well..... fuel system, induction, headers, exhaust, TC, transmission.. gears.

You should join this forum as well..... alot more info on making the 94-96 impalas and 90's caprices faster.

read this entirely!!!! Go Fast Basics for Your B-Body! - Chevrolet Impala SS Forum : Chevy Impala SS Forums

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. But my impala has 108K on it and its all stock. Engine is good condition just right now minor leaks which Ill have tuned up. My goals are to get 350+ HP and I was looking at your SS, describe to me your engine and what route would you go?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I'm sorry, but I have to comment on you signature. 94 was not the first year of the b body, it wasn't even the first year of the bubble body. The impala was just a trim package.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
smh at myself lemme change it

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ok.. 350+ HP is that what you want to the rear wheels or at the crank? There is around a 15-20% loss of HP through the transmission on to the rearend.

My car puts down 440+ to the rear wheels NA and the HP at the crank is probably around 525-535. My goal was a full weight reliable street/strip car capable of 11s on motor and 10s or lower on nitrous and be driven on the weekends and entered into car shows.

The shortblock has been bored/stroked/honed and blueprinted, stuffed with a Callis Dragonslayer forged crank and rods, JE forged pistons, Advanced Induction 200cc heads ported and polished and a big lumpy cam. 11.5 to 1 compression. Stage one NX nitrous system with a 100 shot controlled by a MSD digital 6. Long tube headers with electric cut-outs and full 3" exhaust, 3700 edge TC and 3.73 gears with an eaton posi. Suspension set-up for drag racing with the frame notched to fit a 12" wide wheel in the rear.

I went with my builder because he knows LT1s like the back of his hand and currently has the fastest all motor LT1 impala in the nation. He runs a 10.5 in the 1/4 mile all day long. I wanted a motor that was built rock solid that can handle a 200 shot nitrous if I tuned it for that. He basically built my entire car from the engine to the rearend. I already destroyed a level 3 trans with this motor. Currently been upgraded to hopefully a bullet proof level 4. Also with my car... I can swap my PCM and run E-85. It made around 435 to the wheels on E-85.

It all depends on what you want to spend.. I was really fortunate to have a high paying job working as a contractor in Iraq... to be able to afford this. It costs alot of money to build a car like this and it sucks gas like a muther f*cker.

You can make 350 crank hp with a cam and roller rocker upgrades with all supporting mods and not suffer that bad of gas mileage. Now with 350 to the wheels probably needs a set of ported heads and matching cam and roller rockers with all supporting mods and upgraded tranny.

If your short on cash.... start small. Home made CAI intake can be done really cheap... throttle body by-pass (free mod), air-pump delete (free mod)PCM tune.. catback exhaust.. gears. If you have the cash go for it all. But remember HP aint cheap and good luck with you car.

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Dwayne J and DSSTRBD, your advice and info is great... will continue to tune the car then just upgrade the 350 not complete 383. Need to start saving up but I thought Id ask around to have something to look foreward to

·
Registered
116 Posts
Your welcome bro.... I was asking the same questions you were 5 years ago. Its a fun learning process to see a car come along and a headache when shit breaks... and it will. You should join the other forum that is dedicated to our cars.... alot of great info there. Just try to do a seach before asking a question... chances are it has been asked a 100 times before.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok got you bro, ill def join the other forum and thats good to hear that you started out asking questions like me becuz you have one hell of a SS.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Just because you join the other forum, don't be a stranger. I'd like to see how things turn out, and I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I appreciate that you listen to everyone's advice instead of arguing about it! Too many noobs come on here thinking they know everything, you sir, are a breath of fresh air.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@kingnutin: Oh yea I know. Im not gonna act like I know things becuz I dont. Im new to the car world. So when experts and guys like you who are familiar with this, I would listen to easily. Much appreciated!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts