Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question: Are all 3800 series II supercharged engines the same regardless of year? For example does a 98 GTP have the same 3.8 as a 2005 Imp SS? Thanks AND please forgive my ignorance in advance!!!! LOL

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I believe there is different generations of the m90 supercharger, I'm unsure if they will fit other gens of the 3800 of it the newer gens were upgraded.

Reactions: azwildcats96

·
Banned
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm thinking about collecting parts for a top swap. Wasn't sure if they were all interchangeable and if there were certain years to avoid or to look for.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Did you see the milzy link I posted on dons thread?

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Yes there are different gens of the m90 charger. Stick with 00-05 for the top swap.

Full list of parts you need here:

http://www.3800pro.com/forum/general-tech/32553-l36-l67-top-swap.html

Other mods will be required also like, setting up vacuum lines

Quite frankly I don't think it's worth it unless you were able to get the parts cheap via a donor car or similar. Otherwise you'd be looking at $1-2k. You'd be better off getting a built N/A from ZZP or heads and a cam on the l36.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I'm going to write a rap song called "swap it like its hot" :giggle:

·
Registered
432 Posts
97-05 gtp regal impala monte carlo sc motors were the same. With the exception of a few random motors in the later 04 years cars have been found to have some internals from the L32 motors. That being said 2005+ GTPs had a better motor all together, internals were hardened and the bkower was more efficient. If I were you I would look for a complete drop in motor, it would make for tuning it way easier in the long run.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts