Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, I'm new to this forum, so if this has been adressed, please close if nessesary.

When I drive my 03 impala, I will sometimes get a smoke coming out of the car, and then it goes away. At first I thought it was oil, but it's more of a evaporated antifreez smell.

When I stop the car, from driving a while, I notice anti freez driping from the front ground scraper on the driver side of the car.

I try inspect the car and I can't really see any evidence of evaporated anti freeze from the front radio output to the engine, or the two tranny coolant ports on the drive side of the car.

I do see sort of a white residue from around the bleeder and connection for the coolant to go into the engine, and I also see white residue on the transmission .

As we all know with the 3800 thre is a exaust pipe right there, has anyone had this problem, do you know what I could do to fix it?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There's an elbow on the left hand side of the upper engine that is hidden from plain sight. It has an o-ring on either side and they wear out and leak coolant on a manifold. It's a pain to get out but it's an easy but at your local autozone, should be in the "help!" Section or near the coolant T's. same thing happened on a 03 monte carol ss 3800 I used to have.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Left hand side of the upper engine, on the driver side? Any way you could use your phone to take a picture of it?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Passenger side, not driver. And there are 2 elbows, not 1.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know about the two elbows, but my leak is on the Driver Front side of the car, not passenger side.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you have coolant dripping from the air dam (ground scraper?), you may have a leaking radiator, or the radiator drain plug may not be properly tightened. You will need to remove the air dam in any case to check. With the air dam removed, look for the radiator drain plug near the far driver's side end of the radiator. On my 2002 Impala LS the drain goes through the driver's side rubber radiator cushion. It should be wet if the coolant leak is from the drain. If you have the original radiator, it will have a hex-head fitting (18 mm I think) that you need to check for tightness.

If you determine that the drain is not leaking, check the car body below the radiator for evidence of pooling coolant. The radiator tank (plastic) on my car cracked and leaked coolant all over the place creating a big rust problem on the body.

If you still don't find a leak, post again. The intake manifold part that the throttle body bolts to is another source of coolant leaks on the driver's side of the engine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bugger elbows...

I have had this happen twice on my 04. 1Aauto sells METAL (aluminum) ELBOWS for this issue. $24 for pair. Cheap aftermarket elbows plastic don't last long.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
^^ ZZP and Dorman sells them as a pair for $10 (Alum) even after shipping it'd still be cheaper :eek:k3:

·
Registered
432 Posts
He said twice already its the drivers side, inspect around the Tstat housing and right below that is the temp sensor. Look for leaks around those two for starters. Then inspect the radiator hose and clamps, one of the clamps can be loose especially if the snap ring type. with enough pressure and a worn out clap some coolant can spray out into the compartment.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 2002 impala 3.4l....there's dexcool leaking from the passenger side and i cant figure out where its leaking from, the water pumps been changed

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have an 04 Impala and have 430,000 km on it... and have had a wide assortment of rad leaks... including have had those 2 elbows (top passenger side below alternator and above water pump) split and leak twice until I replaced them with the aluminum ones. But if you are seeing rad fluid on the ground on the driver side at the front, I agree with glquigley - check the rad drain plug - it is down there. make sure its tight but don't overtighten or you'll need a new rad. Check all hose clamps and ensure they are tight. I would also check the bottom of the rad for a leak by a stone hit. If you are seeing /smelling other fluid, check your AC condensor cause it too may have been impacted by a stone. But if you smell rad fluid - check the hoses on the top and bottom when the engine is HOT - pinhole leaks sometimes only shoot rad fluid out when fully hot and engine is revving. Also check for a hairline crack at gooseneck where hot out rad hose connects to rad - they sometimes split and also will not leak until hot and engine revving. I've had all these leaks on my three GM sedans at one time or another.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts