Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the late 1960's, Chevrolet built a cut down version of their popular 327 for the SCCA Trans-Am road racing series where displacement was limited to 5.0 liters. According to Wikipedia, it used the 3" stroke crankshaft from a 283. That combined with the 4" bore of the 327 produced 302 cubic inches. (That's the same, exact bore and stroke of the old Ford/Windsor 302, BTW.)

Not sure I've ever seen one of these up close, and know little about them, but my knowledgeable gearhead friends always spoke reverentially about this engine :)

So when I saw a late 60's Z28 Camaro at a car show in Forth Worth last weekend, I was pleasantly surprised to see the "302" emblem on the hood. Then I looked underneath and thought, "Gee, that looks kinda big for a small block" :) I had a good chuckle when I saw the "454" on the breather cover.

This is my kind of hot rod. Numbers-matching be damned, there is no replacement for displacement :)

Doug

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,911 Posts
That 302 was a pretty cool little motor. Revved up quick with that short stroke. Had a pretty unique sound too. But your right, no substitution for displacement.

·
Super Moderator
10,567 Posts
Yaa I'm not big on matching numbers myself , ...... beef up the drive train........

·
Registered
4 Posts
There's certain cars that numbers matching works for. However, once the original engine is done, all bets are off. I'm in the same boat with my 65SS. Since the 327 is gone, I'm thinking around 700hp big block. The Chevy 302 is a hard engine to find and draws big money. I prefer a 327 myself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts