Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats it take to get 300 horse outta a 95 impy ss? Im about to begin my setup with a raiss intake and flowmaster catback system, how far do u think that will get me roughly horsepower and torque wise?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Moving up the horses

The intake and exhaust changes you mentioned are worth about 15 to 20 or so horsepower and about the the same torque. If you really want to get 300, you'll need headers and some kind of cam improvement. Changing to 1.6 rockers, especially roller tip (or preferably full roller) rockers will help. If you change the intake to an LT4 or Edelbrock manifold, a GM HOT cam, the headers and rockers, and retune the injectors and fuel pressure (every car is unique in that aspect), you could easily get 325+.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I think I read in a magazine (GM High Tech performance) they did a test of the Edelbrock intake manifold and it did not add any performance over the stock.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips guys, keep em commin. I've never heard anything good about the edelbrock intake yet.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
keep us posted on what uve done might have to follow u to tha 300 horse mark w/ the 9c1:cool:

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm sure that's its implied somewhere that you should get a custom tune. A tune will get you improvements on the top end [leaning out fuel mixture a little] and in the mid-range [bumping up the timing a little], plus other tricks that the top tuners have probably not shared with us... lol. You may also get a little better fuel economy [if you can keep your foot out of it... most of us can't]. As you do more changes, a custom tune will be required to get the full performance benefit.

Luckily, you have a '95 so the cable is relatively cheap and the software to upload/download flashes is cheap/free. You can probably make a deal up front with a tuner to handle your changes cheaply (by getting an e-mail file and you doing the "install").

My custom tune was done by PCMPerformance.com . I have been VERY happy with my results.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Blowmasters are NOT the best flowing mufflers out there. get the Pypes X- pipe some good flowing muff's & Dynamax over the axels pipes all 2.5". get a god cold air intake, some 1.6 RR. and new springs. THEN a good 2800 stall converter & some 3.73 gears. Hell, just the converter & gears will make you think you gained 50hp.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
300 rear wheel HP or 300 fylwheel hp? 300 fywheel definately attainable with a simple intake and exhaust mods and a tune.

You don't need a cam or injectors or a worthless edelbrock intake manifold...
Good point taken Buffman.

I kinda wish i woulda got a 2.5 inch system instead of the 2.25 flowmaster catback kit but it will do for now. I just got the car in august and it now has just over 20,000 miles, I'll build a full exhaust system a few years down the road. I plan on having this car forever so i guess im gonna try and take it eazy on the mods but the buildability of this car makes it so tempting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Port @ "polish", Borla Hedders, Bbk 58mm Tb, Roller Rockers Comp Cam Race, 3.73 Foose, Jet Shift Kit, Re Program Hyper, Raiss Ram Air, Flo Master 3 Chamber Ex, Grantelli Mass Air, Bi Pass Tb Coolant, Hyper 160 Therm, Etc. And More My Father Has A 96 Ss It Got 550.7hp 678.2ftq.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
gotta love american muscle that u can tune yourself

·
Registered
197 Posts
Port @ "polish", Borla Hedders, Bbk 58mm Tb, Roller Rockers Comp Cam Race, 3.73 Foose, Jet Shift Kit, Re Program Hyper, Raiss Ram Air, Flo Master 3 Chamber Ex, Grantelli Mass Air, Bi Pass Tb Coolant, Hyper 160 Therm, Etc. And More My Father Has A 96 Ss It Got 550.7hp 678.2ftq.

Not with all that Bullshit it doesn't...

·
Registered
2 Posts
You want 300RWHP... You better add at least the 845 cam with supporting mods.

I have the 1.6 roller rockers, new springs, Tri-Y headers, Exhaust, GMPP 845 cam, Cold Air with high flow S&B filter, and PCMFORLESS. Results: 306rwhp and 334rwtq

Everything else on the motor is stock.

Michael

·
Registered
197 Posts
You want 300RWHP... You better add at least the 845 cam with supporting mods.

I have the 1.6 roller rockers, new springs, Tri-Y headers, Exhaust, GMPP 845 cam, Cold Air with high flow S&B filter, and PCMFORLESS. Results: 306rwhp and 334rwtq

Everything else on the motor is stock.

Michael

people have made over 300rwhp with a stock cam and full bolt ons, but those are factory freak cars.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Dont wast your time with the Hypertech programmer, go with a stock reprogramed PCM PCMfor less or any other one will work. More horsepower, better tune and less money. Have not heard anything good about the Grantilli products.... more problems then they are worth. Go with a F-body MAF Less money a easy to tune for.(getting PCM tuned anyway) Go with full length headers ,shorts and mids a waste of money. You do not neet the jet shift kit the PCM can be programmed to shift harder(with the tune). Just my $.02. Good luck with the car - Lance

·
Super Moderator
3,941 Posts
My car runs high 11s NA with a stock shortblock with midlength headers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dont wast your time with the Hypertech programmer, go with a stock reprogramed PCM PCMfor less or any other one will work. More horsepower, better tune and less money. Have not heard anything good about the Grantilli products.... more problems then they are worth. Go with a F-body MAF Less money a easy to tune for.(getting PCM tuned anyway) Go with full length headers ,shorts and mids a waste of money. You do not neet the jet shift kit the PCM can be programmed to shift harder(with the tune). Just my $.02. Good luck with the car - Lance
i dont believe short and mid length headers are a waste. There are cars running 12's with slp shorty headers and mid length headers. As dwayne stated his car runs 11's with mid length. You might want to do your research

·
Registered
997 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts