Impala Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 LT1, 2.5 L. I'm planning to store it in my garage for about 3 months. The only thing I'm concerned about is keeping the batteries charged. Since there are 2 batteries in this particular model it seems to be more complicated than simply clipping on a battery maintainer. I have a Battery Tender Junior. Can I just attach the cables to the 12 Volt battery under the hood and also keep the second battery charged as well?

I don't want to remove the batteries from the car and put them on a charger.

Any advice or experience with this?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I am not 100% sure on this matter and hope others will chime in if I am wrong...

2 battery system I would say charge the Main Starting battery. That is where the starting the car comes from, the eAssist is made incase the main battery goes dead and through the DIC will help charge up your main if needed. Also not sure what your Temps are (Maybe in really cold area) but I have a few cars around home and there are a few that have sat from time to time for longer then 3 months that didn't need a Jump when I went to start the car. Rare to be under 40F where I am at these days.

I would also think that the Manual would cover this as well. Sadly I can't find a 2016 online to Confirm...

James

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
The 2016 Impala does not have Eassist. It is a simpler system with auto stop/start.
The additional battery is not there in case the main battery goes dead, it is there to run the electronics after the car goes into auto stop to save gas.

The 2016 manual I saw online just said to remove the negative battery cable on the 12 volt battery and or use a trickle charger it did not address the second battery but then maybe your manual is more specific to the Impala with the auto stop/start system. Just charging the main battery under the hood will not charge the smaller battery.
From what I've read that additional battery is similar to a motorcycle battery. You could probably just put a trickle charger on it as well if you have another one. Or just every other week switch the charger to the other battery.

Reactions: ems2158

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did check the owners manual before I posted. For extended storage it advises to "remove the 12 volt negative cable or use a trickle charger." It does not say anything about the second battery in the trunk that is used for the start/stop system. I'm going to go with the trickle charger and hope it keeps the 2nd battery charged. I'm in PA, the garage is unheated but attached to the house and usually stays above freezing. I'll see how that works. If it fails, I'll report back here. Thanks to those who responded.

·
Registered
13 Posts
FWIW, do NOT forget to fill the fuel tank to Full ( and maybe some stabilizer) or condensation may cause rust inside the tank, which will drive you absolutely crazy when the motor keeps stopping. I speak from experience, tho mine was on blocks for over a year while in Nam. Might even pull the plugs and squirt a bit of oil into each cylinder before you fire it up again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.