Impala Forums banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,442 Posts
Unfortunately I just bought this one and I am in it for the long haul. The car has been immaculately cared for its entire life. There is not one spec of rust on it, not even a scuff in the paint. Just has high miles.

I make my living breathing new life into other peoples outcasts so an engine swap on an impala is not really even what I would consider a project. I just want to be sure I can swap in a non AFM engine before I lay down the cash and put forth the effort only to haul it to the dealer and they cant reprogram the computer.
Look into an HPTuners device. It'll cost you some $$$ ($500 new - a little less used), but then you have complete control over the cars ECM/TCM - you can change whatever you want. I'd be willing to bet that you can disable AFM with HPTuners. Plus, you can use it to tune other things on the vehicle (shift points, fueling, fan control, you name it and it can change it).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sub non AFM lifters?

Hi
New member here.
I have an '08 3.9 with about 150k miles.
So far...on its 3rd crank seal, second set of crossover gaskets, of course it burns oil (not enough per GM).
New heartburn...after 40 years of messing with cars and engines, there was a noise I couldn't identify. Bit the bullet and took to a dealer. FORTUNATELY, the guy who heard it said "pitted cam and AFM lifters, we see it on 3.9 and 5.3"
Here is my question for the group. What would happen if I put a Non AFM lifter into an AFM slot? Just want the car to run for another year or so. Don't care about cam wear.
THANKS!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am currently running a 2007 3.9 afm with the lifters and plate swapped out of kit,along with the afm disabled and the ecm dealer tune to keep 1,3 and 5 Active. I get a bank 1 injectors timing out of range code, usually after a short idle period.The car is getting slightly better mileage on the highway, and slightly less in town. The thing has had a tick,#6 wrist pin, I believe, and will be swapped out sometime. I am betting that the afm lobes are definitely different.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Its so weird how GM made the 3900 V6 without AFM in 2006 then in 2007/2008 went with AFM to save a small amount of fuel, then got rid of it 2009, 2010 and 2011. Why didn't they just keep the 3900 permanently as a V6? I love the 3900 in my 2006 Impala. It has plenty of power and feels very solid.

Good luck to Goostoff with the engine swap. You will love the Impala with the 2006 3.9 L engine. :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
I am currently running a 2007 3.9 afm with the lifters and plate swapped out of kit,along with the afm disabled and the ecm dealer tune to keep 1,3 and 5 Active. I get a bank 1 injectors timing out of range code, usually after a short idle period.The car is getting slightly better mileage on the highway, and slightly less in town. The thing has had a tick,#6 wrist pin, I believe, and will be swapped out sometime. I am betting that the afm lobes are definitely different.
To clarify if I'm reading this right - you installed the entire dealer swap kit, minus the revised cam, yes? I wonder if we can get one of our aftermarket programmers ([email protected]) to make that run right? That would make the swap exponentially easier and cheaper.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I do not own an AFM engine so forgive me, and if GM released a TSB about it I guess not....but I thought I had seen a way to turn off AFM using the gauge cluster computer? Maybe it's something you'd have to do every time you start the car though?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bart...that's COOL!!

Do you have a link to a readable version, or the dealer printouts!??!
I'll have to get my dealer to print it for me!

As I've babbled here previously, my '08 LTZ 3.9L AFM burns oil at a decent rate. This past winter, I did an oil-consumption test with my dealer. It burned 1.5 Qts. in 3,400 miles. I ran Mobil-1 thru the whole time.

From a "Geek" standpoint, I like the AFM system! Mine switches in-&-out seamlessly. Since spring, I've been using the GM "Full-Dino" oil...no diff. noticed in oil-burning unfortunately...:dunno::bang:....

I don't really care bout gas-mileage, but it WOULD be nice to NOT burn oil!!!!

Faron
Burns oil huh.... even after you've replaced the oil filter housing gasket?

41 - 49 of 49 Posts