Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks in advance to those who help.

2001 3.8L Impala

The car bottomed out in a ditch and that's when the problems started.
First, the radio started working intermittently (see this thread, http://www.impalaforums.com/mechani.../1177-2001-impala-radio-fritz.html#post169708) although this seemed to go away with the cold weather. This caused me to play around with the cables underneath the steering column. There I found an autostarter which I had no idea was there (I bought the car used). I guess that explains my PASSLOCK problems...but that's not the point of this thread.

Recently, the temp gauge stopped working and the cooling fan is always on (it's winter here, it shouldn't happen). All fluid levels are good. I took it to the mechanic. He connected an OBD reader and reset a code and it worked fine for a day (the gauge was reading accurately and the fans didn't turn on). When the problem reoccured, I decided to disconnect the fans. I taped off the connectors so no water gets in. This caused the car to lose power while driving. Everything would turn off for a while and then go back on. I promptly reconnected the fans. I haven't driven it much since but it seems disconnecting the battery fixed it temporarily again but I'm guessing the problem will come back.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? Thermostat? Computer?
The car didn't suffer major body damage when it bottomed out in the ditch.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine does something similar, even when the ac if feels like there is a light flow of cool air going through the driver side vents, but when I turn the heat on it blows hot air. Pretty much I just close the vents if im not using the ac, but mine is like a very low amount of air. If yours is faster it might be annoying but I cant even hear mine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I meant the engine cooling fans. They're under the hood; they turn on to keep the engine at a constant temperature.

I'm concerned because it's cold outside and the fan is always on. It takes longer for the car to heat up and I'm sure it reduces fuel economy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. just wondering if you had any luck with this as mine is doing the exact same thing right now. I have an 01 3800 (ex-police) as well.

I JUST replaced one of the spark plug coil packs a few hours ago. car was running great after that. but after driving around 40 miles and parking for 2 hours I go to drive home. the engine temp gauge never gets to even the first hash mark on the way home and the fans were both on full blast. I'm thinking maybe i bumped something when i did the coil pack?

any advise would be good here. I'm pretty good with cars but i've only had this one for a week and a half so I dont know it well yet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello. just wondering if you had any luck with this as mine is doing the exact same thing right now. I have an 01 3800 (ex-police) as well.

I JUST replaced one of the spark plug coil packs a few hours ago. car was running great after that. but after driving around 40 miles and parking for 2 hours I go to drive home. the engine temp gauge never gets to even the first hash mark on the way home and the fans were both on full blast. I'm thinking maybe i bumped something when i did the coil pack?

any advise would be good here. I'm pretty good with cars but i've only had this one for a week and a half so I dont know it well yet.
impalaforums.com/mechanical-electrical-problems/256-2001-chevy-impala-temp-guage-heat-ac-problem.html

You may have bumped the them temp sensor or the sensor just failed as you did this project. But your issue seems to match the items in the above thread. No temp guage and fans running when car is off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts