Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to forum... I’m in the market for a nice pre-owned sedan for under $25k. I’ve been looking at the ATS, and just recently became interested in the Impala LTZ. But I’m appalled at the discussions about the 3.6L engine vibrations- That would DEFINITELY prevent me from buying one! But the talk has slowed, and in fact I don’t see anything from 2017 onward. Has a fix been found? Has GM stepped in? Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I got a vibration on idle and it started at about 12K miles. Didn't happen all the time but did bother me. After reading many reports about it I tried a can of valve cleaner. The problem went away and started to show up again at around 24K miles. Another can of this and the problem is gone again. Easy to do and cheap money, the dealer wants $200 to do the same thing. Below is the stuff I used, google it and you will see it has great reviews. I bought it on Amazon but I have seen it on sale at Auto Zone too.

Amazon.com: CRC 05319 Intake Valve Cleaner 11 Oz: Automotive

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a 2015 LTZ and have never had any of the vibration issues, I haven't heard any vibration complaints on the 2017 model. I would suggest to not get the 20" wheels it is a littel harsher ride and the stock bridgestones are crap I switched to Pirelli p7 cinturato and it made a big difference in road noise. I really like mine but I will probably put the smaller wheels on when I need new tires.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a 2015 LTZ and have never had any of the vibration issues, I haven't heard any vibration complaints on the 2017 model. I would suggest to not get the 20" wheels it is a littel harsher ride and the stock bridgestones are crap I switched to Pirelli p7 cinturato and it made a big difference in road noise. I really like mine but I will probably put the smaller wheels on when I need new tires.
I think everyone agrees that the 20 inch tires are very noisy! I hate mine and I will replace them early. I have 24K miles now and everyone who rides in the car thinks I have a bad wheel bearing, it is just the tires.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I test drove two 2017 Impalas Premiers. On a scale of 10, one of the vibrations was a 7 and the other a 3. Each car had less than 50 miles on them.
Another person on this site test an
Impala black edition with a noticeable vibration.

So as it has been said before, it's a crap shoot. May get one that doesn't and be happy. But if ya get one that does, Chevy will not help to find a solution to your problem.
So good luck, good hunting.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Our 2015 2LT has 22,112 miles on it now and we've never had any vibration issue.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
New to forum... I’m in the market for a nice pre-owned sedan for under $25k. I’ve been looking at the ATS, and just recently became interested in the Impala LTZ. But I’m appalled at the discussions about the 3.6L engine vibrations- That would DEFINITELY prevent me from buying one! But the talk has slowed, and in fact I don’t see anything from 2017 onward. Has a fix been found? Has GM stepped in? Thanks in advance...

I have a 2014 Impala 2LTZ.

RE: Vibration - read this: https://gm.oemdtc.com/1346/vibration-felt-in-drive-at-idle-2014-2015-chevrolet-impala

·
Registered
209 Posts
The above was checked by my dealership, found nothing wrong. My vibration started after 5,000 miles and is worse
as temperatures drop.

As stated in earlier posts, Cadillac had the same problem. Solved their problem with redesigned engine mounts and
a computer update.

Since problem was brought to light by LuckyDriver in 2014 to Chevy, Chevy response calls the problem "normal".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts