Impala Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
I have not heard of any issues with timing chains in the Impalas. The previous-generation 3.6l engine (LLT) *did* have some timing chain issues, but I haven't heard of any in the newer 3.6L (LFX). Part of the issue with the LLT was that the oil life monitor wasn't calibrated properly and people were going to long between oil changes, which caused the timing chain to "stretch" - at least that is my understanding.

Very important to use full synthetic oil and change it every 5k miles or so on these 3.6l direct-injected engines....

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I have not heard of any issues with timing chains in the Impalas. The previous-generation 3.6l engine (LLT) *did* have some timing chain issues, but I haven't heard of any in the newer 3.6L (LFX). Part of the issue with the LLT was that the oil life monitor wasn't calibrated properly and people were going to long between oil changes, which caused the timing chain to "stretch" - at least that is my understanding.

Very important to use full synthetic oil and change it every 5k miles or so on these 3.6l direct-injected engines....

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

Not all full synthetic oils meet the the GM Dexos-1 oil requirement to maintain the power train warranty since 2011. The GM Dexos-1 oil the dealers use is a semi-synthetic. I do not object to the full synthetic (I use Mobil 1 in my Corvette....), but if you want to maintain your power train or GMPP warranty for the engine - make sure you use oil approved by GM.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Not all full synthetic oils meet the the GM Dexos-1 oil requirement to maintain the power train warranty since 2011. The GM Dexos-1 oil the dealers use is a semi-synthetic. I do not object to the full synthetic (I use Mobil 1 in my Corvette....), but if you want to maintain your power train or GMPP warranty for the engine - make sure you use oil approved by GM.
Actually as of 3 weeks ago, as of this writing, GM has changed the Dexos specifications and Dexos is now a FULL synthetic oil and not a semi-synthetic.

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Actually as of 3 weeks ago, as of this writing, GM has changed the Dexos specifications and Dexos is now a FULL synthetic oil and not a semi-synthetic.

What was the source of your information for this change? Do you have any links to post to verify what you have stated? Thank you.

·
Registered
659 Posts
The source I got this from is the general themselves. This is a part of the GM communications I received on gmglobalconnect in about mid July.

"When the dexos1 motor oil specification was first brought into market, it was made clear that GM would upgrade the specification when necessary.* That time has come for ACDelco dexos1 5W30.* The second generation specification upgrade is being rolled out over the next 2 weeks.* The motor oil market is made up of many oils but dexos specifications are formulated for GM designed engines.* GM dealers are encouraged to understand characteristics in the spider chart and explain to customers the benefits of the new dexos1 5W30 specification.* In addition, the new upgraded specification is now a Full Synthetic Oil."

As of August 1st most dealers should have had full synthetic Dexos in there tanks since the semi-synthetic oils will no longer be available to them according to this communication.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
The source I got this from is the general themselves. This is a part of the GM communications I received on gmglobalconnect in about mid July.

"When the dexos1 motor oil specification was first brought into market, it was made clear that GM would upgrade the specification when necessary.* That time has come for ACDelco dexos1 5W30.* The second generation specification upgrade is being rolled out over the next 2 weeks.* The motor oil market is made up of many oils but dexos specifications are formulated for GM designed engines.* GM dealers are encouraged to understand characteristics in the spider chart and explain to customers the benefits of the new dexos1 5W30 specification.* In addition, the new upgraded specification is now a Full Synthetic Oil."

As of August 1st most dealers should have had full synthetic Dexos in there tanks since the semi-synthetic oils will no longer be available to them according to this communication.

Thank you.

Ironically - the official GM Dexos site does not contain this information: dexos®

1 - 8 of 8 Posts