Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone come up with a method to change the oil filter on this engine without making a mess?

I have tried stuffing rags under filter area and it still makes a mess. It is less of a mess with the rags but I would prefer not dripping oil all down the side of engine.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Has anyone come up with a method to change the oil filter on this engine without making a mess?

I have tried stuffing rags under filter area and it still makes a mess. It is less of a mess with the rags but I would prefer not dripping oil all down the side of engine.
Built into my 2013's 3.6, under the oil filter, is a catch pan/funnel that catches the ~4 ounces or so that comes out the filter during removal. That pan/funnel routes the oil to a vertical spout that comes out below.

My oil change pan catches most of what escapes the filter. I wipe off the plate section below the filter when I clean up after.

It's not perfect, but it's much better than cleaning up on the earlier 3.4 with its horizontal filter and cast aluminum pan (and no plate/funnel).

Doug

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine may have that ..I'll have to take a good look this weekend. I do know since I've had this car....I've placed pan underneath and have never had 100% accuracy on placement. Always afew spots on the ground.

Never really looked to see if it had a funnel thing. Always thought it was just puking out.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
The 3.6 engine in my previous 2012 Impala LTZ, and the 3.6 engine in my current 2014 Impala 2LTZ (new model), have the oil filter drain diverter under the oil filter.

When I changed the oil, I drained the pan - replaced the bolt, then loosened the oil filter and let it drain into the pan (which I moved forward). I would remove the oil filter from above, then reinstall the new filter from above. Then, I’d drain the pan again for a few minutes. The filter is difficult to remove and install on this engine, as it is so close to the exhaust piping.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ima give her a pressure wash douche in the mourning

·
Registered
23 Posts
What I used to do when I did oil changes on any vehicle was to put down a tarp and secure the corners. Then do the oil change. At least no drips on a cement driveway.

Not exactly your problem.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Jack the car up to drain the oil and then when its drained, put back on the plug and lower it back to the fround. Then remove the oil filter with the car leveled and have the oil catch pan below that area and you make little to no mess at all. I no longer dread oil changes on my Impala.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts