Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay i just recently acquired a 03 impala with a 3.4 that is blown along with the tranny. i have a buddy selling an 04 ss engine and tranny for 900 bucks with 70k on it. what all is needed for the swap? does it use the same cradle just different wire harness and pcm?

sorry for the noob question but i have searched a little and not found a definitive answer.

thanks

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
wire harness for the pcm, the tcm/trannys are the same (as far as info you are looking for) you will also need a pcm, and some bin file editing MAY be needed due to the yr differences & the car (not sure how your BCM will like talking to an 04ss PCM) Theres a few places around that will do all the labor for~800-1000 including the computer work (depending on where you live & your tech bkgrnd, you may want to look into this) The earlier Imps have a Steel cradle (IIRC it changed either in 02 or 03, but you should be able to tell which one you have fairly easy, black=steel, silver=alum, and the newer ones have an alum. but the cradle should still work as its the same as on the GP's which also came w/ the L67. There's a weight savings of 15-26#s IIRC. The EASIEST way ( if you have access) would to be unbolt the steering rack/struts/wires/hoses and drop the cradle to swap. I am not sure if the 3400 engine mounts will work or not, but you can buy aftermarket lower engine mounts from a few of the 3800 performance sites if they dont. It's not an easy swap by any means (just a heads up) but $900 for engine + trans is a hard offer to pass up (I've seen complete L67s go for that alone)

hope this helps a little, if you decide to go thru with i t, i can start digging up more info for you.

Also since the engine is out, you might want to look into mods (specifically a cam/timing chain), it'll be the easiest time to do it ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah it is my dad's car, i did the tranny pull on it and brought it to the tranny shop and they screwed it up twice now, so they are reimbursing me for the tranny and i was just thinking about buying it from my dad and doing the swap. it has the aluminum cradle, and as long as the rad hoses, and power steering lines are the same i was thinking why not since i found that deal for 1grand. i will do some more research but i am not sure if i am up to the work as it is winter time here and i hate being cold and working on cars! :mad:

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
call a gm dlrshp and get the p/n of the PS Pump, if its the same it will bolt to the bolt that way you dont even have to remove it, mine is still in the car

IIRC the rad is the same, again gm p/n will tell for sure, the only difference in PS was the racks (diff ratio?)

I can measure my rad outlets if you need ;)

·
Registered
416 Posts
call a gm dlrshp and get the p/n of the PS Pump, if its the same it will bolt to the bolt that way you dont even have to remove it, mine is still in the car
Just looked it up, different part numbers from the 3.4 to the 3.8.

Not to sure what the difference is between the 2.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts