Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 64 biscayne how do i go about finding if its one wheel or two wheel drive?thanks for the help

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
It is two wheel drive, both rear wheels. Now it is also most likely that the RT RW will be the one that does most of the driving since it is probably not a limited slip rear axle.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
That's probably what he meant. Visually, I have no idea. But, you could always do a burnout and see if they both spin.

·
Registered
51 Posts
An open diff will almost always spin the pass. side tire.

A Posi will usually spin both tires if it's functional.

A better and safer way to check is to securely jack up rear of car, put trans in neutral, and spin one back tire...

If the opposite rear tires spins the same way, you have Posi-trac, if it spins the reverse way, it's an open diff. Since I'm more of a Ford guy, I can't say with certainty that if the Posi unit is bad, it will act like an open, although Ford's trac-loc does when it wears out. (yeah yeah, now I gotta listen to the anti-Ford shit. :rolleyes:...whatever...)

Spinning the tire(s) to check is kind of....juvenile :rolleyes:

·
Registered
30 Posts
An open diff will almost always spin the pass. side tire.

A Posi will usually spin both tires if it's functional.

A better and safer way to check is to securely jack up rear of car, put trans in neutral, and spin one back tire...

If the opposite rear tires spins the same way, you have Posi-trac, if it spins the reverse way, it's an open diff. Since I'm more of a Ford guy, I can't say with certainty that if the Posi unit is bad, it will act like an open, although Ford's trac-loc does when it wears out. (yeah yeah, now I gotta listen to the anti-Ford shit. :rolleyes:...whatever...)

Spinning the tire(s) to check is kind of....juvenile :rolleyes:
WIN!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts