Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So would it be worth it to spend 300 on a 283 still hooked up to the power glide? History unknown, running unknown, but is not froze up. It spins.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
So would it be worth it to spend 300 on a 283 still hooked up to the power glide? History unknown, running unknown, but is not froze up. It spins.
What are your plans for it? Do you have a car you plan to put it in?

It's at least 50 years old - 283's went out of production in the late 60s (replaced by the 307). So it's pretty old iron.

If I was looking at a small block for a project, I'd probably get something newer, even at higher cost, so that I've got newer tech.

Doug

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 60 bel air that has a 283/powerglide already. Not sure if cost wise it would be to rebuild it with a few tweaks to up the hp. Or just invest in a crate 350/th350 when mine craps out.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I have a 60 bel air that has a 283/powerglide already. Not sure if cost wise it would be to rebuild it with a few tweaks to up the hp. Or just invest in a crate 350/th350 when mine craps out.
I've put a little thought into this off and on over the years. One of these days I hope to actually do something like this :)

I had a 66 Caprice with the 327 and Powerglide. No doubt, by today's standards, that transmission is short a couple gears :)

I have envisioned replacing it with something like the 700R4, but cannot tell you what all is involved in that. Nonetheless, having four forward gears instead of two will surely improve your dollar mileage :)

As for the engine, there are several recent vintage motors - all small blocks - that should physically fit without great difficulty. The 5.3 (not the LS4) and 6.2 - both truck/SUV engines - I would expect to fit anywhere a 283 would (but double check that - I've been wrong before). The upside to these motors is fuel injection and computer control - they'll go 100k miles between tune-ups versus 10k for the 283. And get much better gas mileage.

The one nagging issue for me is how to make the engine computer work stand-alone with no BCM to talk to. I'm sure there's a way to re-program it for that, but would need to do some more research into it.

And, if you wanted to get more bleeding edge, there are recent vintage LT-1's with beaucoup horsepower and the 6-speed 6L80 transmission. But that may be stretching the budget.

Doug

1 - 4 of 4 Posts