Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a 62 4-door with a 283 and have a question about a hose. It starts up at the top back of the motor kind of by the distributor and runs down towards the passenger side around the bell housing and ends below the motor. The end below the motor is not attached to anything, but is held with a bracket. Does anyone have an idea of what this hose is for?

·
Registered
4 Posts
283 Answer

This is called a draft tube and they are normally made of metal. The older engines didn't have a PVC system that routed gasses back to the carburator to be burned off, so the only way to vent the oil smoke from inside the engine was to simply let it flow out below the car. Air flowing past the open end of the tube would create a low pressure area to pull the gasses out.

Chevy small blocks built before the 1968 Federal emissions regulations also used a canister filter located inside the engine underneath the intake manifold to trap excess oil before exiting the engine at the site you discribe next to the distributor.

Hope this helps,

Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
On my 64 ss, 283ci, that tube was piped into the rear port on the 2 barrell, with a check valve of sorts in the carb, it seemed to be factory? I installed a 4 barrell edelbrock, and when I installed that tube in the same place, I lost all vacuum, and plugged it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts