Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I own a 1963 impala wagon which has a 283 cu v8 and powerglide trans, i live in the UK so looking to keep the same motor setup, down on 4 cylinders on compression and vacuum is low, now I've purchased a new intake manifold / carb and air cleaner setup for the engine, looking at rebuilding the heads but the machining on the cast iron heads is almost as much as buying aluminum heads new, so I've been looking but getting confused as to what will / wont fit on the 283 as most of the aluminum heads list for 327/350 with larger valves of 2.02 /1.60 and head cc of 185 or 200, struggling to find any solid answers as to if this spec head will run correctly on a standard 283 without causing any issues, or if it will cause issues, if anyone with experience with this engine and possibly this combo any information is appreciated

·
Super Moderator
3,915 Posts
So being in the UK is going to make all this harder.
If you were in North America I would say just get a junkyard engine and transmission and safely store the numbers matching drivetrain you have now, is that an option or not?

I did a little research expecting the 283 to have a small combustion chamber but it really doesn't which is good news head choice wise, but you will have to make sure you match the intake you bought.

I would first worry about combustion chamber size than port size, what casting heads does it have now?
Seen some comments that if the engine has been rebuilt and bored oversize 2.02 valves can work honestly though I would rather stay smaller.

FWIW on my 500hp 7000rpm LT1 it only had 200cc ports and 2.00/1.56 valves. This was a 1996Caprice which actually weighed similar or maybe a little more than your wagon and ran 11.5 in the quarter mile. On a 283 a 170cc port and 1.94 intake valve should be plenty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply,

I have managed to locate a pair of fully rebuilt cast iron 305 small block heads in the UK for reasonable money, seems as if they are much closer to the 283 spec than any of the aluminium heads I've been finding as most are listed for a 327/350/400, as they have the smaller valve sizes, however not sure if the chambers are smaller then the 283 on these heads, I don't know the casting numbers for either set i am afraid, my engine appears to be original straight plug with no accessory holes on the heads, seems to fit with what would of been factory however have no idea if my engine has been rebuilt in its lifetime either, the inlet I bought is a modernised version of the original effectively but in a 4 barrel as opposed to the standard 2 barrel the car had on it, and a holly 4 barrel carb instead of the 2 barrel Rochester, hoping these 305 heads will work well with what I have, all I am after is a reliable cruiser and able to set the engine up correctly, currently on fast idle and timing retarded to make it work which isn't ideal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checked my head casting number which was 3795896 which is a power pack head i think? thrown me now as thought it would be a stock head

1 - 5 of 5 Posts