Impala Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some of your view points about 24 inch rims on a true 96 impala....is it a bad idea? Is it bad for the car? Is it taking some of the value from the car? Let me know please...

·
Registered
741 Posts
Depends on the rim. Offset and backspacing. Don't just look at the rim size.

·
Registered
741 Posts
275/25/24 will fit
&
255/30/24 will fit

Personally, I wouldn't do it.
It may look good to some folks, but...
It will compromise the the ride quality. Your transmission works harder. You will feel every bump. It just doesn't give enough when you hit something and your ball joints will be the first to break. It takes away from your takeoff. You will probably have to get 4.10 rear gears if you want to recover some of your torque. Then you will get into drive shaft balancing problems (from the 4.10's) and have to buy a new drive shaft. Then you'll want to center the rear wheel in the wheel well and have to buy extended trailing arms. Then your transmission dies.... Pretty soon those 24's cost you thousands more than expected. Yes, this is an exagerated/worst case scenario, but it could happen.
I have 20's on mine and have had them for the past 7 years. That's as big as I will go.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
bbs moov really wants to say he wants 22's lmao j/k i like 20's but sometimes they look to small if i could ( without spending thousands of dollars in mods) i would have 24's also but 22's is an in between that looks good without to much drivetrain stress

·
Registered
741 Posts
Ok, I admit it. :lol:
22's fill the up the wheel well on stock height. 20's look better on lowered b-bodys.

Donks are still retarded. IMHO.

To each his/her own.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I pretty much figured that it would have an effect on certin things such as the trans and the ball joints... but they look soooooo good. Man it sometime undenyable when you see a 96 pass you on the street, it almost demands respect. And I think that's the look I'm going for.... a 96 impala ss itself already damands respect... but anything that adds on is the way I want to go....but I def don't wanna hurt the whip under any circumstances....so I think ill stick with 22's

·
Registered
1,556 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
It probably is.

I aint Jealous. U mad? U should be. I just stole yo knowledge.

Thanks again. LOL

·
Registered
155 Posts
I´d go with 20´s and get a Bilstein suspension or, better yet, leave the factory alloys on just as i did. IMHO those are the perfect fit for the Impala, both in looks and ride quality.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have 24s on my 95 SS and am going to say only one thing. The more you like the look, the more you will sacrafice. Yes the ride is a little more felt. Thats what it cost to be the boss.LOL. If you want to dip with big feet on your ride, then just do it:) It cost tires to burn rubber too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
275/25/24 will fit
&
255/30/24 will fit

Personally, I wouldn't do it.
It may look good to some folks, but...
It will compromise the the ride quality. Your transmission works harder. You will feel every bump. It just doesn't give enough when you hit something and your ball joints will be the first to break. It takes away from your takeoff. You will probably have to get 4.10 rear gears if you want to recover some of your torque. Then you will get into drive shaft balancing problems (from the 4.10's) and have to buy a new drive shaft. Then you'll want to center the rear wheel in the wheel well and have to buy extended trailing arms. Then your transmission dies.... Pretty soon those 24's cost you thousands more than expected. Yes, this is an exagerated/worst case scenario, but it could happen.
I have 20's on mine and have had them for the past 7 years. That's as big as I will go.
Let me chime in please... first off ive had 2rs on my car forrrrrrrrrrr 6 yrs...no problem. So this myth about whay can happen ummmm nothing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts