Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm new to this board. So I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum. I own a 2000 Impala and plan to add custom wheels to it soon. I'm having a hard time deciding between 20s or 22s. I'm leaning toward the bigger wheels, as I like the extra size. However, I've been told that the 22s will cause lots of problems (rubbing, loss of engine power, transmission issues, etc.). On the other hand, I've had people tell me that the bigger wheels wouldn't cause any problems. So, I'm a bit confused.

So my questions: Has anyone here had problems with having 22s on their Impala? Should I just go with the 20s to avoid any issues with my car?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
20s maximum.

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
The bigger the wheel, the more rotational mass you are going to deal with. You will wear out your tranny sooner, brakes and pretty much every other suspension component will suffer. Oh and lets forget about the inability to stop being diminished. And then there is the silly looking factor and the fact that most people point and laugh at cars with too big of wheels... or maybe that is just me.

·
Vader
353 Posts
20's tops! I would even say go smaller, like 18's. :beer:

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
20's tops! I would even say go smaller, like 18's. :beer:
This is my feeling as well, but given the choice between only 20s and 22s, obviously 20s. 18s really don't look bad on these cars. Base stock was 16". I have stock 20s on my MKS and wish they were a little smaller.

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
18's are plenty for a 7th gen. If you absolutely must go bigger, go 20s.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
^^ Is that still a photoshop? I thought you located a set? no?

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
Still a shopped picture. Havent thrown them on yet because they're at a buddys house. He's buying my stock wheels/tires, so I'm waiting on him to get the $ together

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
You can't lose with 22s. :eek:k3:
Seriously I am looking to put new shoes on my son's LTZ and he wants 22s. I'm a little leary because of the problems I hear it can cause with the tranny. But I have a friend who just got rid of her 08 SS because she had tranny problems with less than 100k miles. She never upgraded the wheels and kept her stock 18s on. My cuzn has an LT 8th generation with stockers and her tranny went out under 100k miles. Impalas with 22s are all I see around here. They definitely look better to me but everyone doesn't care for the big wheel look. As far as looks go 22s would surely be the max. I think anything larger looks stupid. But like others have said you'll take a chance with the looks. I'm still debating on 20s or 22s myself. I've been browsing cardomain and looking at pics of 8th gen impalas. 1000s have 22s but I've been trying to find the ones with 20s to see how they look. Most of the time the type or style of the wheel makes a big difference no matter the size.
Good Luck.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
also take in account for tire price and a front wheel drive transmission being able to hold up to 20s or 22s. in my opinion I wouldn't go over 18's. but hey its your car do what you want and make it your own. :eek:k3: :beer:

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Oh, but you can....
2nd that! You can lose your rim or rattle your brain when you hit a pothole. No thanks I'd rather have some sidewalls. I'd also rather not pay more for less tire.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
2nd that! You can lose your rim or rattle your brain when you hit a pothole. No thanks I'd rather have some sidewalls. I'd also rather not pay more for less tire.
not to mention a new wheel when ya smack an unseen curb and there is no sidewall to take the force

1 - 20 of 41 Posts