Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2020 impala and noticed the headlights are not real great. Anyone notice this? What did you do to get more light?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Impala ranks with a 5 star crash rating, receiving 5 stars in most categories.
They also now rate headlights. Impala's headlights were rated as "poor".
They are many previous threads in which people complained, like you, about the headlights and what they did to try to improve their situation.
Hopefully, some will respond with what they did.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Impala ranks with a 5 star crash rating, receiving 5 stars in most categories.
They also now rate headlights. Impala's headlights were rated as "poor".
They are many previous threads in which people complained, like you, about the headlights and what they did to try to improve their situation.
Hopefully, some will respond with what they did.

I bought a new 2014 Impala 2LTZ model - that had standard HID headlights. The lights are very bright and have an excellent light pattern.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Halogen headlamps are on the LT trim..
HID headlamps are on the LTZ/Premier.
I recall from earlier threads, complaints came from LT owners about their headlamps.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I've got an LT2. Replaced the 9012 halogen bulbs with Morimoto 2 Stroke 2.0 LED bulbs and it helped. Still not the greatest light output at night but better than stock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got an LT2. Replaced the 9012 halogen bulbs with Morimoto 2 Stroke 2.0 LED bulbs and it helped. Still not the greatest light output at night but better than stock.
Newer cars require the resister to make led work. That resister gets very hot. It has to be mounted to a metal surface. There's no metal in the capsule. It's all plastic. Carid sells a kit you add a module. I guess it don't get hot. Eliminates the lights flashing and error message on dash.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
They don't always need an anti flicker module. These morimotos in the Impala did, and I bought it from them.Without the module the passenger light only would not come on during the daytime which is odd.
The Diode Dynamics SL1 LED bulbs in my 2015 Sierra doesn't need the anti flicker module.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They don't always need an anti flicker module. These morimotos in the Impala did, and I bought it from them.Without the module the passenger light only would not come on during the daytime which is odd.
The Diode Dynamics SL1 LED bulbs in my 2015 Sierra doesn't need the anti flicker module.
I was told some led lights have a built in thing that helps alot of cars deal with the anti flicker. They tell you buy the resister and if you don't need it, return it. Wish the headlight capsules came out easier. Rather mess with them out if the car than fight to get in the still in the car. Kinda tight.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was told some led lights have a built in thing that helps alot of cars deal with the anti flicker. They tell you buy the resister and if you don't need it, return it. Wish the headlight capsules came out easier. Rather mess with them out if the car than fight to get in the still in the car. Kinda tight.
I use GTR Ultra 2 LEDs, literally night and day. They are plug and play. No flickering or any other problems.

Low beams

High beams

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
5 Posts
I installed after market HID for about $70 2 weeks ago on my 2018 LT, and can’t be happier. I have tried LED too but it was disappointing for not enough brightness and poor pattern. Maybe it’s just too cheap? Probably costed me $30-40. It was when I rented a 2019 Premium and realized how good lights an Impala can have. HID is perfect, only down side is it takes 10-20 seconds to light up. I can tell it is now as bright as the Premium I drove, at least.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got a 2020 impala and noticed the headlights are not real great. Anyone notice this? What did you do to get more light?
I replaced the factory halogen headlight bulbs on my 2017 Impala with Philips 9005 CrystalVision Ultra Upgrade Bright White Headlight Bulbs. These are also halogen bulbs and there was a significant improvement in brightness. They are available on Amazon for about $30. I would suggest you go to YouTube and view one or several short videos showing how to replace the bulbs. For one bulb, it is necessary to pull-up and remove the windshield washer filler tube to access and remove the headlight bulb cover. Once removed the bulb replacement is relatively simple. Do not touch the bulb glass with your fingers as the finger oils can cause premature bulb failure. If you must touch them, wear gloves.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I installed after market HID for about $70 2 weeks ago on my 2018 LT, and can’t be happier. I have tried LED too but it was disappointing for not enough brightness and poor pattern. Maybe it’s just too cheap? Probably costed me $30-40. It was when I rented a 2019 Premium and realized how good lights an Impala can have. HID is perfect, only down side is it takes 10-20 seconds to light up. I can tell it is now as bright as the Premium I drove, at least.
What LEDs did you use?

·
Registered
24 Posts
^+1. If you screw up and touch them with bare hands/fingers, just carefully wipe the bulb(s) with isopropyl/rubbing alcohol.
Gosh, Sheila, I didn't know that. I've handled halogen bulbs incorrectly before and probably sent them to an early darkness from fingerprints on them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I took the dust cap off and checked things out. No way I can get a led lamp in there. The cap just about touches the back of the bulb. Anything longer than stock bulbs will not fit. Right side not bad. Left side I may have to tear things apart just to get the dust cap off. Windshield wiper res filler neck is right up against it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I took the dust cap off and checked things out. No way I can get a led lamp in there. The cap just about touches the back of the bulb. Anything longer than stock bulbs will not fit. Right side not bad. Left side I may have to tear things apart just to get the dust cap off. Windshield wiper res filler neck is right up against it.
Not true. LEDs will fit. Ive been running LEDs since I've owned my car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not true. LEDs will fit. Ive been running LEDs since I've owned my car.
You have a 2020 impala? The headlight capsules are different on a 2015. The bottom of the headlight bulb on my car almost touches the dust cap. If it's any longer they won't fit.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You have a 2020 impala? The headlight capsules are different on a 2015. The bottom of the headlight bulb on my car almost touches the dust cap. If it's any longer they won't fit.
If it takes a 9005 bulb, it will fit.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Also, how are the capsules different? Take a picture.

EDIT: just looked up the part number for your housings. They are the same pod. The LEDs will fit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts