Impala Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I think my sunroof is leaking on my 2019 Impala. There is water leaking down by the display/Map light housing, near the windshield on the right side. Could this be a clogged drain and where are they located ?

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Hey guys, I think my sunroof is leaking on my 2019 Impala. There is water leaking down by the display/Map light housing, near the windshield on the right side. Could this be a clogged drain and where are they located ?

I have a 2014 Impala LTZ with the factory sunroof.

There are four drains for the sunroof trough. The front two drain tubes are routed down the A-pillars and drain onto the ground, inside the wheel liners. The rear two drain tubes are routed down the C-pillar, and drain to the ground via a hose connection which penetrates the body. If you remove / pull-back the trunk fabric liner, you will see the tubes and connectors for the rear.

You may want to open the sunroof, and closely exam the four drain openings, to determine if there are any obvious clogs. You can use a small cup of water to see if each drain is functional, or to determine which one(s) are clogged.

I have had people tell me they have been successful clearing the drain tubes by using the plastic grass trimmer line, and pushing the line UP the drain tube - not down from the top. The drain tubes are pushed onto the drain trough nipples, and can be dislodged by pushing down the tube from the top. Some have also used compressed air to dislodge a clog.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I opened it up and dont see any drain holes, Where are they located ?

I opened our sunroof tonight and looked at the trough - you’re right, the drain openings are not visible.

I have checked the drains on other vehicle models’ sunroofs, but never on our Impala as I have never had a problem with leakage. We do not use the sunroof (but do often leave open the inside sunshade). I only open the sunroof in the spring and fall, to clean the track and lightly lubricate it and the glass gasket with silicone grease.

You may want to park the vehicle front downhill (then the rear downhill), open the sunroof, then use a small 3 or 5 oz. paper cup to slowly pour some water into each corner (front, then rear separately - to determine if it drains quickly. This would give you an idea if one or more of the four drains are clogged.

Based upon your OP, it sounds as though the RF drain is clogged. Is your vehicle still under the new-car warranty, or a GM extended warranty?

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Yes its under warranty, Dropping it off tomorrow. Good Idea with the cup of water though.

Please let us know what the dealer determines.

I have read (but never seen) that sometimes the drain hose is dislodged from the nipple fitting under the sunroof tray, causing the leak.

Has the leak been present since you got the car? Do you park where there is a lot of debris such as leaves, seeds, etc.?

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes its under warranty, Dropping it off tomorrow. Good Idea with the cup of water though.
I have a 2017 Impala premier and have had this same issue since I bought the car new. It's sporadic though. Didn't leak for quit a while, but had snow melt on the roof in the garage and got in the car and there was water that leaked down from the map light/controls again in to the cup holder. I have had it in to the dealer 4 times and they can't find the leak.. What was your out come? I think it's a design flaw.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a 2017 Impala premier and have had this same issue since I bought the car new. It's sporadic though. Didn't leak for quit a while, but had snow melt on the roof in the garage and got in the car and there was water that leaked down from the map light/controls again in to the cup holder. I have had it in to the dealer 4 times and they can't find the leak.. What was your out come? I think it's a design flaw.
Mine turned out to be the top of the windshield was leaking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts