Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Impala LT with 8" touch screen stereo and 6 speaker system. My rear deck doesn't have speakers but has a place for them. I want to add probably 6x9's and a small amplifier. How can I tie into the factory stereo? There are other impalas with more speakers in the upgraded models. Are there more channel outputs on my head unit that aren't being used?

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I have a 2018 Impala LT with 8" touch screen stereo and 6 speaker system. My rear deck doesn't have speakers but has a place for them. I want to add probably 6x9's and a small amplifier. How can I tie into the factory stereo? There are other impalas with more speakers in the upgraded models. Are there more channel outputs on my head unit that aren't being used?
Here's what I would do. You can get an amp and tap off the lines going to the rear door speakers for the signals. Most amps have high level inputs, so you won't need a line-out converter. These inputs do not load the source - there will be no degradation of the signals to the rear doors.

You'll need to do some rooting around to tap those wires, but you'll need to do that anyway to run power to the amp.

Also, most amps have input gain controls, so you can adjust the gain to make the rear deck speaker levels consistent with the rear door speakers.

Some amps have outputs which can be bridged. Instead of four channels, the outputs can be bridged in pairs to produce two channels each with 4x the power of an unbridged output.

The one question I have is, are there perforations in the rear package tray to pass the speaker audio? You'll get bass regardless, but without some holes, the highs will get attenuated substantially.

HTH.

Doug

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know how to install an amplifier. But last one I did was on a 1999 mustang with a aftermarket head unit. They dont make it easy anymore to change stuff.

From what I've read on here. Tying into existing channels will cause a problem with the factory amp. I was wondering if I could just buy the wiring harness from the system with more speakers. I looked up factory 8" touchscreen head units and can't find and differences in model numbers.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Do not bridge anything in a stock radio/amp

You are certain to have problems.

First thing u look for is the factory amplifier. Which is in the trunk but the right (passenger) side tail light.

Go to metra.com and see if you can find a tharness adaptor to pull signal off the amp.

To do this correctly it costs some $ but u won’t risk messing up your car.

The most expensive yet best integration option is to go to NAVTV and get their integration hardware. Best plug and play type stuff out there. Not sure ur budget. But these cars are not cheap to audio upgrade them. I’m on my second 9th gen Impala. Working on the system myself. And navtv unit is the way I’m going

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
306 Posts
If by some weird reason ur near Wisconsin I’d be willing to help u

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not gonna bridge it. Im thinking off a small amp just for the two 6x9's. There's is no amp in the trunk. Impalas with the amp in the trunk it's probably for the 6x9's that are already installed by the factory.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts