Impala Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Impala. Door speakers, front and rear, do not work. Speakers in dash work fine. I just bought car last month and dealer will not fix it because I did not buy there extended warranty. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Check to see if they function when you've set the Front / Rear balance to Front only.
Before engaging in further troubleshooting, ... be sure you have the head units "Anti-Theft" reset code.
Disconnect head unit from power source while checking each door speaker.
Check L speaker.
Attach short length of color coded spkr wire to + / - terminals on 9 volt battery.
Unplug wires going to L spkr noting which is + and - .

Attach - lead fm 9V to - terminal on spkr.
Briefly touch + lead fm 9V to + terminal on spkr.
Spkr should react each time you touch 9V to its + terminal. This will let you know the spkr's coil is good.
Same deal, ... other side.
If the spkrs are OK, ... you advance to checking the paths back to head unit.

Checking-out the wiring for power and continuity will require a Multimeter ( or automotive test light ).
You save a lot of time and aggravation testing small gauge wiring under dashboards and in confined spaces by having
HOOKED-END Puncture Probe leads for your Multimeter.

(Head unit disconnected fm power for 30 minutes or more will require entering security code when reenergized. You likely find the head unit needing complete reprogramming of preferences and presets)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Attach - lead fm 9V to - terminal on spkr.
Briefly touch + lead fm 9V to + terminal on spkr.
Spkr should react each time you touch 9V to its + terminal. This will let you know the spkr's coil is good.
Do not use 9V for this. 1.5V is plenty. 9V can burn out speaker coils.
Better yet is to just use an ohm meter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts