Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Chevrolet Silverado. Bought it in March of 2018. Every 5000 miles I take it in for an oil change. I have currently driven the vehicle ~16500 miles. Each time I brought it in for the check up (total of 3 times), the coolant tank has been half empty from the COLD fill line. Has anyone had this same problem with their new Chevy Impala? How does one detect a slow leak like this? The dealer did a pressure test with no result. I do not see any puddles below my car or any residue on internal components under the hood, where coolant could could be spread to. Are there locations with pin whole leaks that the dealer could be missing?

Thank you.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I do not know about an Impala but there is a TSB about porus cylinder heads on the Silverado's, I don't know if it includes the 2018 models though. When COLD the valve covers will need to be taken off and the cooling system pressure tested and check for a VERY small coolant leak at the cylinder head bolt locations. I know south main auto channel on youtube had one on a 2007. You can view it here https://youtu.be/BCPhVrWOnEI

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
627 Posts
I finally been able to get on a PC and check TSB's. I found one that applies to your Silverado and valve cover removal is not required.

Its TSB#PIP5330C: Coolant Loss And/Or Coolant Odor - (Jan 16, 2018).

"If the coolant is low, pressure test the cooling system looking for leaks at the outer head bolts If a leak is found the head with the concern will need to be replaced."

To find the leak you may have to have the engine cold and it may take some time to find the leak if there is one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts