Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am unable to connect the Mylink wifi to Free/Non password wifi systems. My phone with android will connect, but the mylink system give me a message the it is "unsafe to connect to this system". I'm running android. The free wifi I speaking about is those provided by McDonalds and Wendys.
The only information that I have found about this says the mylink will not connect unless you are connected to onstar with a onstar contract for services.
This is a 2017 impala LT.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Huh?
Mylink in your car doesn't connect to wifi. You have to pay Onstar to get wifi in your car then your phones or whatever can connect to it.
You're trying to do it wrong.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If there is no connection between the MyLink system and wifi from other sources, Why is there a list of wifi spots listed under WiFi on the MyLink system? These change as you travel. You are also able to connect to them by entering their required password. Seems strange!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Our 2015 is wifi enabled (although we don't pay for the service through Onstar). Where are you seeing the other networks on the Mylink System? I don't remember ever seeing that. I went out to our car and I have to go into the Onstar menu to see wifi settings. All it says is wifi is not enabled and to Contact Onstar.
Maybe the newer cars are different though.

If I could connect the car to another wifi network besides Onstar I would be very cautious and only connect to networks I know are safe and not any open free for anyone to use ones.

·
Registered
19 Posts
In my 2017 and before i enabled the built in data connection, i setup my iPhone’s wifi hotspot and just connected the car to that. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In my 2017 and before i enabled the built in data connection, i setup my iPhone’s wifi hotspot and just connected the car to that. Worked like a charm.
Thanks for your information. I have a question or two.

You say you enabled the built in data connection. Thru WiFI, Bluetooth or USB cable?
Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would like to know more also as my 2016 works only if I pay onstar for a subscription and how much data you will use.. The car then will make a wifi network that you can sign into to use a phone, laptop or tablet to have internet access while you are in the car. I never heard that you could connect your car to a wifi network but mine is a 2016, maybe something changed in 2017?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would like to know more also as my 2016 works only if I pay onstar for a subscription and how much data you will use.. The car then will make a wifi network that you can sign into to use a phone, laptop or tablet to have internet access while you are in the car. I never heard that you could connect your car to a wifi network but mine is a 2016, maybe something changed in 2017?
I have looked all over the interweb and found Utuber vids that are no more than start your car and turn on your radio and majic will happen.
There seems to be no comprehensive information about MyLink systems and how they function with WiFi, Blueteeth and android operating systems.
Enough venting.

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts