Impala Forums banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Impala premier and have had this same issue since I bought the car new. It's sporadic though. Didn't leak for quit a while, but had snow melt on the roof in the garage and got in the car and there was water that leaked down from the map light/controls again in to the cup holder. I have had it in to the dealer 4 times and they can't find the leak or clogs.. I think it's a design flaw. Shouldn't have to drive around with this for the rest of the life of car. Had an 2004 SS monte sunroof never leaked a drop. I have a case entered with GM. Thoughts or solutions?!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I have a 2017 Impala premier and have had this same issue since I bought the car new. It's sporadic though. Didn't leak for quit a while, but had snow melt on the roof in the garage and got in the car and there was water that leaked down from the map light/controls again in to the cup holder. I have had it in to the dealer 4 times and they can't find the leak or clogs.. I think it's a design flaw. Shouldn't have to drive around with this for the rest of the life of car. Had an 2004 SS monte sunroof never leaked a drop. I have a case entered with GM. Thoughts or solutions?!
I have a 2014 Impala 2LTZ - purchased new, with the sunroof.

One or more of the sunroof tray drains (there are four) may be clogged, causing the water to not drain and overflow, into the headliner and the ceiling mounted console area.

One other possibility - has the windshield been replaced? It is possible there is a leak at the top of the windshield seal - which allow water to enter and flow into the headliner.

I’m not trying to rub salt in the wound - but the sunroof on my car has never leaked. My wife and I rarely open it, but leave the sunshade open. Spring and Fall, I open the sunroof, and use silicone dielectric grease to lubricate the roof seal, and the seal around the perimeter of the sunroof glass. I check the tray area for debris, and clean any dust or debris out of it.

You can open the sunroof, and using a small cup, pour water into each corner of the sunroof tray to see if the drains are functional. The rear drains empty into the rear wheel wells. The front drains empty to the ground, inside the rear of the front fenders.

Others have posted on this forum that a rubber drain tube had dislodged from underneath the sunroof drain tray nipple, causing the water leak. Some have had success using .080 inch string trimmer line to snake through the drain openings in the sunroof tray, to clear a small blockage. If you use compressed air from the drain tray side, you risk dislodging the rubber drain tube from the drain tray nipple.

·
Super Moderator
263 Posts
I'm wondering if the melt-off is refreezing on the way down the tubes, I had a similar issue with my 84 Impala coupe where the water would melt from the top and make its way down to the still cold drains insulated from the garage heat and freeze up if I didn't allow the car to "thaw" overnight. It was a 5.7L diesel car that wasn't big on heat to begin with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts