Impala Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I have searched through this forum to try to find my answer, but no one seems to have had the same exact issue I am having. So I wanted to bring it up for others that may be seeing the same thing but have not posted here. I also am hoping that others might have an answer that is NOT "replacing the door locking mechanism." ( I bet that is the only answer though)

A few days I go I noticed my drivers side door would not unlock with the keyfob. I thought no big deal, just climb through and pull the door open and it is probably just a funky computer glitch. Next day the drivers side door would not lock with the keyfob. So I locked it with the lock control on the door. Came out after my errands and used the keyfob and the driver's side door unlocked. YAY.

This was not the end. Intermittently it would lock or unlock with the keyfob. Then yesterday is when I got annoyed with the problem. Putting the car in drive and the door would not lock. Locked it by hand because the locking control did not lot the door. Put the car in park and the drivers side door would not unlock.

Now there is a problem! Something is certainly wrong.

A few other things I noticed,

- When stepping on the brake to shift, there is a noise coming from the center console (this is since gone...but with my luck it will be back.)

- The lock will move as if it wants to lock but will not go down when using the keyfob or the lock controls in the car.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Hello everyone.

I have searched through this forum to try to find my answer, but no one seems to have had the same exact issue I am having. So I wanted to bring it up for others that may be seeing the same thing but have not posted here. I also am hoping that others might have an answer that is NOT "replacing the door locking mechanism." ( I bet that is the only answer though)

A few days I go I noticed my drivers side door would not unlock with the keyfob. I thought no big deal, just climb through and pull the door open and it is probably just a funky computer glitch. Next day the drivers side door would not lock with the keyfob. So I locked it with the lock control on the door. Came out after my errands and used the keyfob and the driver's side door unlocked. YAY.

This was not the end. Intermittently it would lock or unlock with the keyfob. Then yesterday is when I got annoyed with the problem. Putting the car in drive and the door would not lock. Locked it by hand because the locking control did not lot the door. Put the car in park and the drivers side door would not unlock.

Now there is a problem! Something is certainly wrong.

A few other things I noticed,

- When stepping on the brake to shift, there is a noise coming from the center console (this is since gone...but with my luck it will be back.)

- The lock will move as if it wants to lock but will not go down when using the keyfob or the lock controls in the car.

You may have a damaged / worn wire in the rubber accordion conduit between the door and the A-pillars (by the door hinges). You can pull-back the conduit (it is a press-fit in the A-pillar) and examine for a worn / damaged wire.

But as you speculated - I’d bet you have a defective door lock actuator. They are rather straightforward to replace, but the inside door panel must be removed. I have replaced them on the 8th generation Impala models, but not the ninth generation models. I have removed the LF inside door panel on my 2014 Impala 2LTZ (9th generation) and replaced the door check strap.

Please note that the actuators may be different for the LT or LTZ/Premier models (different wiring harness connectors due to features). If you buy one, use your car’s VIN to ensure you get the correct one.

If you need help on how to remove the door panel, I can post a video if you want.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You may have a damaged / worn wire in the rubber accordion conduit between the door and the A-pillars (by the door hinges). You can pull-back the conduit (it is a press-fit in the A-pillar) and examine for a worn / damaged wire.

But as you speculated - I’d bet you have a defective door lock actuator. They are rather straightforward to replace, but the inside door panel must be removed. I have replaced them on the 8th generation Impala models, but not the ninth generation models. I have removed the LF inside door panel on my 2014 Impala 2LTZ (9th generation) and replaced the door check strap.

Please note that the actuators may be different for the LT or LTZ/Premier models (different wiring harness connectors due to features). If you buy one, use your car’s VIN to ensure you get the correct one.

If you need help on how to remove the door panel, I can post a video if you want.
Yeah a video would be great.

Good place to get the actuator? I have seen they are very expensive...

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Yeah a video would be great.

Good place to get the actuator? I have seen they are very expensive...
The actuators I replaced on 8th generation modes were expensive. I’m not aware of any aftermarket parts. The lock latch and actuator were sold as an assembly. I am not sure on the 9th generation models if the actuator is separate, or part of the latch assembly.

I have always bought my GM parts from a dealer, as I have a friend that is a longtime part’s manager.

Here is a video on how to remove the door panel. The video explains how to replace the door check strap, but the door panel removal process should help you.

When I replaced the actuators on 8th generations models, there was an electrical connection, as well as mechanical connections for the lock rods (handle and knob). The three Torx screws (accessed from the metal outer panel near the latch) were very tight. Make sure you use a quality Torx bit and keep the ratchet level.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts