Impala Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2002 impala
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I drove my Daughter’s 2017 Impala tonight and was shocked at how dim the headlights were. With very little difference between hi and low. The dealer she bought the car from had installed Sylvania 9005, basic bulb. I see that the bulbs can be very expensive.
Thoughts, suggestions, input?
Thanks in advance guys,
Dale

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Hello,
I drove my Daughter’s 2017 Impala tonight and was shocked at how dim the headlights were. With very little difference between hi and low. The dealer she bought the car from had installed Sylvania 9005, basic bulb. I see that the bulbs can be very expensive.
Thanks in advance guys,
Dale
I have a 2014 2LTZ - with the high intensity headlights (HID). The lower trim models, the LT and the LS, have the standard halogen bulbs. I have heard others complain of the lack of brightness on the LS and LT models. The HID bulbs worked very, very well. The HID bulbs are very expensive - but can not be retrofitted to the LT and LS headlight capsules.

The headlight capsules are adjustable vertically. Are you sure the lamp capsules are aimed properly?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hello,
Thanks in advance guys,
Dale
The stock halogens on these cars are absolute garbage. If you want a substantial improvement your best bet is upgrading to a quality LED or HID setup.

Reactions: JimTech

·
Registered
2014 Impala LT w/2LT 3.6L (10th Gen.)
36 Posts
Hello,
Thanks in advance guys,
Dale
I totally agree with RobHazmat regarding the poor quality of the halogen headlights on the Impala. They are the one thing that I dislike the most about the the 9th generation (or 10th depending on how you count) Impala redesign.
When one of our headlights bit the dust last year, I replaced them with Sylvania Sliverlight Ultra halogens that were supposed to be modest upgrade from the OEM's. The difference was somewhat noticeable, producing a whiter light, but not much brighter. The "upgrade" was disappointing. Also, as a general rule, the brighter you opt for with halogen replacements, the shorter the lamp life.
In stark contrast, our 2018 Equinox that uses very similar projector-style headlamp housings, but with HID lamps, are very, very good.
If I had to due it over again, I'd probably go with a quality HID conversion setup for the Impala. Installation is a bit more involved as the HID's use an external ballast module for each lamp that provide the high voltage necessary for the HID arc lamp. They also draw more startup current, so most suppliers recommend also adding an external relay and fused harness to get power directly from the battery to avoid the possibility of blowing a headlamp fuse. There are a number of You-Tube installation videos out there to see more exactly what's involved.
If your daughter does a lot of driving on poorly lit roads, I believe it would be a worthwhile investment.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm going through the same thing with my LT. Stock halogens are pretty bad. I've only ever owned cars with halogen lamps and never had a complaint prior the Impala.

I recently spent $160 on a set of high end US made LED's to hopefully fix the issue. The color match to the DRL's is perfect but that's where the good news ends.

They're no brighter than the stock halogens and don't cast as far. The beam pattern has some dead spots in it too, especially right at the center. And oddly the high beams point super high now. I'm going to put the stock halogens back in until I find a better option. The HID conversion is a bit outside of my comfort zone at the moment.

Sort of wish I would've gotten an LTZ instead just because of this one issue.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm going through the same thing with my LT. Stock halogens are pretty bad. I've only ever owned cars with halogen lamps and never had a complaint prior the Impala.

I recently spent $160 on a set of high end US made LED's to hopefully fix the issue. The color match to the DRL's is perfect but that's where the good news ends.

They're no brighter than the stock halogens and don't cast as far. The beam pattern has some dead spots in it too, especially right at the center. And oddly the high beams point super high now. I'm going to put the stock halogens back in until I find a better option. The HID conversion is a bit outside of my comfort zone at the moment.

Sort of wish I would've gotten an LTZ instead just because of this one issue.
What LEDs did you use? Expensive doesn't necessarily mean high end.

Reactions: sidemouse

·
Registered
257 Posts
Diode Dynamics. IMO the side mounted diodes just don't fully illuminate the projectors and cause a poor beam pattern/illumination on these cars.
Eh they have a good build quality but they don't have the best output. You woulve been better off with the SuperNova SV4s or GTR ultra 2s. I get excellent beam pattern and illumination with mine.

Reactions: Silver19

·
Registered
24 Posts
Eh they have a good build quality but they don't have the best output. You woulve been better off with the SuperNova SV4s or GTR ultra 2s. I get excellent beam pattern and illumination with mine.
Do you have the SV4's or the GTR Ultra 2's?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Do you have the SV4's or the GTR Ultra 2's?
I have the GTR ultra 2s, love them. My passenger side needs to be adjusted up a bit, but yea, I see pretty well at night lol.

Reactions: Silver19

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the GTR ultra 2s, love them. My passenger side needs to be adjusted up a bit, but yea, I see pretty well at night lol.
View attachment 164152 View attachment 164153
Ahh I think I remember seeing these photos when I was searching for light upgrades a while ago. Almost went with the GTR's because of your posts, and looks like I'm going to wind up with them anyways. Thank you!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Ahh I think I remember seeing these photos when I was searching for light upgrades a while ago. Almost went with the GTR's because of your posts, and looks like I'm going to wind up with them anyways. Thank you!
No problem. Let me know how everything turns out!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Keep in mind that you may have to clock the LED's so that they are facing sideways. If they aren't, the light pattern can be wrong.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have an '08 that has 9005 bulbs, and have never been happy with the non-LED choices. I installed these and have been extremely happy with the results. I found them as a recommendation on this same forum. Definitely worth looking into.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,
Thanks in advance guys,
Dale
I replaced the headlight bulbs on my 2017 Impala with Philips 9005 CrystalVision Ultra Upgrade Bright White Headlight Bulbs, about $30. on Amazon. An amazing change in brightness! They are easy to install once you pull up and detach the windshield washer filler tube . Make sure you don't touch the bulb glass with your uncovered fingers as finger oils can shorten the bulb life. Wear gloves! Also, make sure the exterior plastic lens covers are clear and not yellowed by the sun.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I replaced the headlight bulbs on my 2017 Impala with Philips 9005 CrystalVision Ultra Upgrade Bright White Headlight Bulbs, about $30. on Amazon. An amazing change in brightness! They are easy to install once you pull up and detach the windshield washer filler tube . Make sure you don't touch the bulb glass with your uncovered fingers as finger oils can shorten the bulb life. Wear gloves! Also, make sure the exterior plastic lens covers are clear and not yellowed by the sun.
I doubt there's any significant change in brightness using any kind of halogen bulbs. Maybe the Osram nightbreakers, but still nothing on par with a quality LED or HID system They just don't have the lumen output needed to make a significant differenc. They probably look whiter, which can easily make them seem brighter, but nah. Halogens suck in these cars.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi

I am in the same boat with the 9005 halogens. As a temporary stopgap I am using the NOS Toshiba 9011 HIR which generate about 5000 lumens for the pair. This was a significant upgrade over the 9005 but who knows how long they will last as these are high beam bulbs and they are being used as DRL.
Long term, the DIY harness for DRL and a led upgrade may be in the picture.

Also, the passenger side housing is a bit funky so will need to be replaced.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hi

I am in the same boat with the 9005 halogens. As a temporary stopgap I am using the NOS Toshiba 9011 HIR which generate about 5000 lumens for the pair. This was a significant upgrade over the 9005 but who knows how long they will last as these are high beam bulbs and they are being used as DRL.
Long term, the DIY harness for DRL and a led upgrade may be in the picture.

Also, the passenger side housing is a bit funky so will need to be replaced.
Get the GTRs or SV4s, you won't be disappointed. I'm hearing good things about the morimoto 2 stroke 3.0s as well, but haven't gotten my hands on them personally yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 2017 impala ls and it has the projector type headlight but the headlights are just a bad design
I replace the bulbs with leds and it did improve but theres istil blind spots
I believe that like every lens light it will need to be focus to optimize the output
Unfortunable there's no adjustment for that also no adjustment side to side
Have anybody find a way to adjust side to side
and or focus

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have 2017 impala ls and it has the projector type headlight but the headlights are just a bad design
I replace the bulbs with leds and it did improve but theres istil blind spots
I believe that like every lens light it will need to be focus to optimize the output
Unfortunable there's no adjustment for that also no adjustment side to side
Have anybody find a way to adjust side to side
and or focus
Depends on the LEDs you put in. If you replaced your bulbs with junk LEDs then yea, youre not going to see much improvement.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts