Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2016 the other day and wanted to switch out the headlight bulbs to LED. My question is how many other owners have 9005 bulbs in their car? My manual says 9005 but every part store lists 9012 for the bulb. I called the dealer and asked them and they couldn't give me a straight answer because they didn't have any in stock.

Thank you

·
Registered
483 Posts
Sites list 9012, unless they changed it mid model which I cannot imagine why, I would order from a location that takes returns.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I recently ordered a 9012 LED kit for my LT2 and the bulbs will fit but they are not cut exactly like the stock bulbs. I had to kind of put them in at an angle and turn to get them flush into the housing. Also, I would definitely recommend HID's over the LED's. The lighting was more blue than white and honestly to me didn't put out too much more light than the stocks, especially on the sides where the impala lacks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't tried putting the 9012 in the housing but the socket for the headlight will not do a 9012 bulb. It works with a 9005 bulb. Which is weird cause I believe a 9005 bulb is a high beam bulb.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked a a 15, 16, and 17 and they all list 9012 bulb so they couldn't of changed it mid year. So I'm wondering why mine says 9005.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Someone else mentioned their car having a 9005 bulb on here before as well.

It was Thomcat on his 2017 Impala. Here is the thread http://www.impalaforums.com/chevy-impala-9th-gen-discussion/597601-adding-ltz-led-drl-s-2014-15-impala-9.html

Page 275 of the 2016 Impala owners manual does show a 9005 bulb listed https://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Chevrolet/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Ownership/Manuals_and_Videos/02_pdf/2016-impala-owners-manual.pdf

Page 277 in the 2017 Impala owners manual does show a 9005 bulb listed https://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Chevrolet/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Ownership/Manuals_and_Videos/05_pdf/2017-Chevrolet-Impala-Full-Size-Car-Owners-Manual.pdf

From what I've read an 9012 HIR bulb has little higher lumen spec than a 9005 bulb. I wonder why they switched to a 9005 bulb and I also wonder if the newer Impalas put out better or worse light with the bulb change than the 2014 and 2015 Impalas.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have h11 leds and a h11 hid kit from my 13 impala. Anyone know if I could use those bulbs in place of the stock 9005 bulbs?

·
Registered
483 Posts
I looked at my Amazon order to confirm my bulb size through KenSun and mine were a 9006 (HB4) for HID's. I still think your best suggestion is to order through a retailer that takes returns if they suggest the wrong item.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I haven't tried putting the 9012 in the housing but the socket for the headlight will not do a 9012 bulb. It works with a 9005 bulb. Which is weird cause I believe a 9005 bulb is a high beam bulb.
Do you still have the stock bulb? Does it say what it is on the bulb base?

Can you post a photo as well.

9011/9012 HIR bulbs are suitable replacements for 9005/9006. All it requires is a little modification at the base of the bulb. HIR's produce more lighting.

Here is a link on how to trim the tabs.

How to Modify HIR bulb bases

I did check the manual and it lists the 9012 as the replacement bulb. Do you have a 9006 to try?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Do you still have the stock bulb? Does it say what it is on the bulb base?

Can you post a photo as well.

9011/9012 HIR bulbs are suitable replacements for 9005/9006. All it requires is a little modification at the base of the bulb. HIR's produce more lighting.

Here is a link on how to trim the tabs.

How to Modify HIR bulb bases

I did check the manual and it lists the 9012 as the replacement bulb. Do you have a 9006 to try?
Didn't want to modify the base to take a heavier wattage bulb. Found out that Sylvania and Philips manufacture 9005 bulbs of the same wattage with different filament construction, bulb coatings and proprietary gas mixtures that provide brighter, whiter results.....more so than kludging it to take a different model bulb.

I have a '17 using the 9005SL+ bulb as called for in the manual, a variant as bright as the 9012, and bought a 9012 HIR as a mistake.....thought of modifying the connector to remove the two pips to fit and decided against it and returned. Glad I didn't because I discovered that the 9012 has only one upgrade in the 9012, but the 9005 has 4 upgraded from the basic 9005....the stock 9005SL+ being the first Sylvania upgrade. The 9012 will only go to the next upgrade silverstar, while the 9005 has progressively brighter silverstar, ultravision, ultra, and finally zXe each upgrade using the stock 65 watts fitting the stock connector but providing more down the road and side vision and a whiter temperature than the lower grade. I bought the 9005 Ultras because the exchange at Advanced Auto didn't carry the zXe.....only wanted the zXe to match the white color of the LED /DRLfogs. The ultras definitely prvide more stock lighting , at least as good as the HIDs in te Silverado! And the whiter color and coverage is a dramatic improvement over the stock 9005SL+ and a close color match to the LEDs at nightime.

You never get something for nothing so I suspect that the penalty will be a shorter lifespan......upgraded bulbs being guaranteed for one year replacement, BUT access and replacement in the Impala is a breeze, the washer filler pipe is removable for easy access. Both bulbs replaced in less than 10 minutes and no tools required. Well worth a small inconvenience considering the benefit and the windshield wipers are not designed to last forever either.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Page 10-30 in the owners manual says this.

Replacement Bulbs
Exterior Lamp BulbNumber
Back-Up Lamp 7440
Deck Lid Taillamp 194
Front Parking/Turn Signal Lamp 7444 NA PLATINUM
Front Sidemarker Lamp 194
High/Low-Beam Headlamp (Base) HIR–2 (9012)
License Plate Lamp W5W LL
Stoplamp/Taillamp/Turn Signal Lamp 7443 LL

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Page 10-30 in the owners manual says this.

Replacement Bulbs
Exterior Lamp BulbNumber
Back-Up Lamp 7440
Deck Lid Taillamp 194
Front Parking/Turn Signal Lamp 7444 NA PLATINUM
Front Sidemarker Lamp 194
High/Low-Beam Headlamp (Base) HIR–2 (9012)
License Plate Lamp W5W LL
Stoplamp/Taillamp/Turn Signal Lamp 7443 LL

That is not what my book said mine says 9005sl+

·
Registered
1,313 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well thanks for everyone's help. I purchased some 9005 leds off of amazon.

One more question thought. For the led headlights they come with a resistor or relay or what ever you want to call it (the little box that the led plugs into and the other side has a wired that connects to the factory harness) well I put that and the wires inside the headlight housing so I could still put the rubber cover on that goes on behind the headlight. My question is will I have any problems with all that inside there? I mean there is a lot of space in there I just don't know if that box gets hot and can melt anything or start a fire.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts