Impala Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few things are deleted on this car , can you tell me if the dealer can update the radio to install factory Nav . they seem to remove a few things for rental companies , Navigation is one . I have a 2016 LT 2LT package . thanks . Scott

·
Registered
174 Posts
Factory navigation isn't standard on a 2LT. So, in a nutshell the dealer isn't going to do anything about it. There are companies that sell that feature for $1000. In the age of smartphones and Waze factory NAV isn't all it's cracked up to be.

·
Registered
605 Posts
No, I asked and there is no option to install the NAV by the dealer. I have it in writing. I have posted links where you can get it but it's 1k so maybe not worth it

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
It is a different head unit but the factory Nav in my 2015 SS(different car yes) which is built in permanent not OnStar seems to be deliberately made crappy to upsell onstar, besides insurance quirks like not allowing address entry while moving. If I am using Nav my wife is most often in the car and wants to enter addy but she can't till I stop.

It is cumbersome to navigate, it gets screwed up by a few hundred feet if the car is started under an obstructed skyview like say under the canopy at a gas station, updates are like $175 as I hear it.

I honestly like our 7yo Garmin Nuvi with the under 5" screen better.

The only possible redeeming features I can find with it are the ability to control the volume from the steering wheel and that it lowers radio volume when the voice nav begins to speak, otherwise I think I would have gladly paid an extra $100 for the car to get a regular radio instead of the infotainment GARBAGE.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My 2015 2LT was also a from a rental fleet. I bought it as a CPO from my dealer and it's been a wonderful car. It only has Nav feature through OnStar, but to get the Nav feature, OnStar said it would cost me $387 a year. No thank you. I have a Garmin GPS with FREE lifetime updates, a 6 inch screen, and it can be placed anywhere I want to see it without looking away from the road. I WIN.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just bought an identical car (2016 rental 2LT) yesterday. If you have an iPhone or an Android phone, FORGET THE FACTORY NAV! Use the nav built in to your phone! It's WAY better than any factory nav, and it always is up to date. I made sure to get the Android Auto function updated into the radio before I left the dealer yesterday.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Phone integration > factory nav system, but you need 2016+ for that.

I've heard it is possible to get either Android or Apple integration in a 2014/2015 but it requires a lot of expensive part replacement.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hmmmm. I just use my Android Auto/Apple CarPlay APP with my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and all is good! I cannot even remember the last time I used the AM/FM tuner or any other installed app on the screen

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The nav package shows as $274 for me with OnStar. It is less than 1 car payment and works great for us. Don't pay full price.

·
Registered
231 Posts
After using the factory nav for a while, you'll think it was designed by Hoover.

Seriously, it doesn't know the difference between exits and continuing on the highway you're already on, tells you to "bear left" when it really means "just keep going straight on I-95", etc.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Damn that sucks bignick. Glad we didn't get that in the car then.

·
Super Moderator
10,954 Posts
Driven a lot of cars with the built in nav.
GM, Ford, Chry, Mercedes, BMW, KIa etc.

None of them are that user friendly and I always end up back with my Garmin.

Maybe because I'm used to it more, but, the factory installed ones don't impress me that much.

The Garmin has better features, easier to use with lifetime map updates at a fraction of the cost.

One mans opinion.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I like the route I chose for my LS, installed a Nexus 2013 tablet, Waze, google maps and other endless apps. No real complaints. Going to mess with Alexa and or Google assistant for voice commands later this week when I have time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts