Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in November, someone ran a stop sign and took out the front of my 2016 Impala Midnight Edition. The body shop has been trying repeatedly to get the correct grill, but they keep getting the stock Impala grill sent to them, with gold bow tie.

Per the body shop and the parts manager at the dealership, there are only 2 part numbers: one for the stock grill, and one for "dealer paint to match" which has since been discontinued.

So, is there seriously no way to replace this Midnight Edition grill after it was damaged? Anyone else ever had to replace one or know where I can source it?

Right now, we're looking at just throwing the stock grill on as our only option, and letting the body shop try to paint the gold bow tie black.

Thanks in advance ...

·
Registered
22 Posts
There's more to the Midnight Edition grill than the black bowtie, there's more black than chrome on the ME grill.

Can they paint over the chrome for you too?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are correct, the grill has a black surround and center two are chrome. No, they can't paint over the chrome. They can but they recommend not to since the coating is so thin they can't scuff it enough to get good paint adhesion for long-term.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well that sucks, sorry that I can't help. Hope you find the grill you need, and please let us know if you do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, after going through the original build sheet, RPO codes, comparing descriptions, and looking at how the Midnight Edition package has changed through the years ... we think we figured it out.

In 2016, the ME packaged required the dealer to swap the grill, front / rear bow ties, and install the pedal covers after the vehicle arrived. Later, the ME package included front bow tie, but no grill, meaning the dealer put the black bow tie on the stock grill after delivery. Thus, the limited production option 2016 grill w/ black bow tie ran out of stock and was no longer produced as a single part number and discontinued because it would change the next year.

The grill he got has the black surround, chrome centers, gold bow tie. Per the RPO codes, the dealer (body shop in this case) would then remove the gold and install the black bow tie. His paint guy already has my grill in the booth, prepped, and already sprayed the first coat. So, we'll see how it holds up. If it doesn't last, I know now that the "Factory Way" of doing it will be to order a black bow tie only.

So now we know, if you have the ME and need to replace your grill, order the grill to your VIN, and then order the black bow tie to swap.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got her back from the body shop yesterday and snapped a quick cell pic of the grill with the gold bowtie painted black.

As you can see, the grill is correct to the ME as it has the black surround and two center chromes. The badge was gold. Paint guy did great with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts