Impala Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I just bought a 2016 LTZ Limited. I know it's a fleet car. My question is, is it an 8th or 9th generation? When buying performance parts like CAI what do I buy it for? Under the hood looks nothing like under the hood of other 2016's so I'm guessing it's an 8th generation.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
On this forum, we call it an 8th generation. Other places call it the 9th generation. :) Best to just reference year (and limited) when talking on here to avoid confusion. When looking for parts, you can use a 2012 since it's the exact same car. Makes it a lot easier to make sure you get the right parts. :)

Sent from my A1160 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the quick reply. If I need parts from my favorite local auto parts store I just tell them it's a 2012. If I want a tune or performance parts from Overkill I'd buy them for the 8th gen as well?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Pretty much! The 8th gen runs from 2006-2016 (14-16 as the Impala limited). Your car has the same powertrain as the 2012 and onward, and all parts should be identical.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Your car is on the 9th gen platform, 2006 - 2013 / 2014 - 2016 Limited. There's another Impala forum that's pretty much dead and they got the platforms all bamboozled. Instead of doing the right thing, this site decided to follow the WRONG teachings of the other forum and continue to confuse people with the generations.

Anyhoooo... from 2012 to current, the Impala and Limited models are identical within their respective trim level. They have the 3.6 LFX motor backed by a 6-spd tranny, and that's a very good thing.

When ordering parts, either specify your car is an Impala Limited or just say it's a 2012 or '13 to eliminate any confusion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts