Impala Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
My tires are supposed to be at 35 psi cold. Does that seem high? These are Bridgestone, same size as stock. It's cold so they dropped to 30 psi and all the tire compressors at our local stations are broken. When they work, they won't go higher than 32.
Is it OK to stay around 30-31 psi?
Rich

·
Registered
83 Posts
Greetings!

When talking about your tire pressure for your tires:

ALL TIRES have a Speed Rating "LETTER" in MPH & a number in metric or PSI (standard) for air pressure. The letter tells you how fast you can drive on those tires you have usually a "W" or "Y" rating is for speeds above ~149 MPH. So...

COLD TIRE PRESSURE:

Is when you check your tire pressure in all 4 tires & you have NOT TRAVELED OR DRIVEN your car for several hours or in your driveway overnight. So if you have 30 PSI in your tires from overnight sitting you are going to need to ADD air to your tires because tires are meant to have between 32~35 PSI WHEN COLD NOT WHEN HOT.

HOT TIRE PRESSURE:

Is when you check your tire pressure AFTER your car HAS BEEN DRIVEN for 5, 10, or more minutes & the air in your tires (because of friction) EXPANDS & INCREASES the pressure with the tires. So...

If your tires' air pressure was checked AFTER DRIVING around for a while & the PSI reads 35 PSI you can SAFELY ADD 5 PSI in your car's tires (so the YOUR tire gauge) reads a total of 40 PSI.
This way when you check the tires COLD PSI you are at the PROPER PSI rating for your car's tires.

Finally, you NEVER want to over inflate tires (so that the treads sit up off the ground) & overinflation leads to poor gas milage & the POSSIBILITY of tire blowouts because AIR EXPANDS when it is heated. (Think of a hot air balloon)...

Attached is a Speed Rating chart for you...

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Oh...

One more thing...

When in doubt...

CHECK THE CAR'S OWNER'S MANUAL.

It will tell you what the proper PSI is for your car.

However, depending how YOU like to drive your 2016 Impala, the PSI ratings are a GUIDE.

I set my PSI for my front tires between 36 ~ 38 PSI & my back tires at 36 PSI for a little stiffer ride. But that is just me, personally.

It is usually "Dealer's Choice" whether or not you want a firmer (more air pressure) PSI or more bouncy ride (less air pressure)...

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Hey guys,
My tires are supposed to be at 35 psi cold. Does that seem high? These are Bridgestone, same size as stock. It's cold so they dropped to 30 psi and all the tire compressors at our local stations are broken. When they work, they won't go higher than 32.
Is it OK to stay around 30-31 psi?
Rich

Under inflated tires will wear prematurely.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Over inflated will wear prematurely as well.

Reactions: 1999 White C5 Coupe

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all,
Helpful...

I will look into more when I get home. I never really check my tired pressure unless the sensors trigger an alerts in the car. It showed one tires as 27 and the others at 31 after driving a while.

Problem is, I don't have an air compressor but I have a friend with several I can borrow.
My tire I believe always read about 32.

I stopped at two gas stations and both had compressors that were not working. When we it would get to about 31-32, the unit would error out.

So got them to 30 and drove for about 20 minutes and then they read 32-33.
Is live to take them higher but I'll need to buy an compressor unless I can get to my friends house. The tires are just about new. Maybe 8 months old.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was at my girlfriend's house and the car sat for hours. Tires dropped to 28-29. I drive home and they go up to 31-32.

The specs on my door for these tires and from the sidewall say 35 cold and 40 hot.

I'll try to adjust them in the morning tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
ALWAYS adjust pressure when they are cold. Pressure goes up with heat and down with cold. Just sitting in the sun the tire pressures will go up.
They may be at 35 when warm or hot but when they get cold again it will be too low. DON'T worry about the pressure when the tires are warmed up, just set them when they are cold and move on.
The psi can get down to as low as 30 before your light goes off as a warning that they are too low. You shouldn't let them get that low. Your tires are not going to last long if you do wait till that light comes on to do anything.

Stop overanalyzing it and put the right pressure in the tires and try to keep it within a couple psi of that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The pressure for the tires on your car should be stated on the sidewall of the tire. Do not go by the inflation specs in the owners manual or the door jam. Those specs were for the original tires that came from the factory.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
The pressure for the tires on your car should be stated on the sidewall of the tire. Do not go by the inflation specs in the owners manual or the door jam. Those specs were for the original tires that came from the factory.

Not true.

The pressure listed on the tire sidewall is the maximum tire inflation pressure. Vehicle manufacturers are required to place a (cold) tire inflation pressure label on the vehicle, which takes into account the size and load rating of the tires, and other suspension issues.

If the OE tires are replaced with the same size / type - the owner should still follow the tire inflation recommendation from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I was at my girlfriend's house and the car sat for hours. Tires dropped to 28-29. I drive home and they go up to 31-32.

The specs on my door for these tires and from the sidewall say 35 cold and 40 hot.

I'll try to adjust them in the morning tomorrow.

Try stopping at any tire store.

Generally, tire pressure will drop one PSI for every 10 degree drop in ambient temperature.

I’m in the Midwest and we went from 70 degrees two weeks ago, to 9 degrees overnight. This temperature drop will cause the tire pressures to drop about 6 degrees.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
^+1. Don't go by the tire sidewall pressure. Always use the drivers door end/jamb sticker or owners manual. Check cold after car has sat overnight or undriven for 4-6 hrs.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's been sitting so I will check this morning in my garage. It's sat overnight.
I'll use the door jam sticker which is 35 psi.

My tires are the exact same size as the original. Pissed me off that they first gave me a different size and didn't tell me, so I went back and had them order the correct size.

The alert went off around 27-28 psi.

I think thr main reason I was stressing is that I knew they should be about 35 based on thr sticker spec but I could get them to come up above 32 and that was fairly warm, because none of the compressors I used at gas stations were working properly.
Luckily I got a compressor from a friend and I'll take care of it today.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Oh well, there goes that idea. The compressor he gave me doesn't fit. The connector is way smaller. I guess this one is for bikes, balls, etc.
I'll have to make an appointment at a garage next week. Sucks. Hate driving on them so low.

I may try to find a functioning gas station unit. But by then the tires will be hot so I'll estimate. Most people do it that way at a station.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Oh well, there goes that idea. The compressor he gave me doesn't fit. The connector is way smaller. I guess this one is for bikes, balls, etc.
I'll have to make an appointment at a garage next week. Sucks. Hate driving on them so low.

I may try to find a functioning gas station unit. But by then the tires will be hot so I'll estimate. Most people do it that way at a station.

Sometime ago I bought a 12-volt air compressor, that I use to inflate the tires (don’t forget your sprare.....) on my families vehicles. I like that it can be used anywhere with the vehicles, not just by a 110-volt electric outlet.

There are several inexpensive inflators available that would probably work well for you - you could avoid having to drive to gas stations to find a compressor.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
If I have to fill them up at a station and I don't have my tire gauge, I usually overfill them a few psi then drive home. The next morning I will check them and let air out until they are the right psi cold.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The compressor I borrowed stopped working after one tire. It's said low battery and error and now won't turn on. It's got a power cord that goes into thr car lighter outlet. Weird.
I'll have to find a gas station and fill them when hot.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks, I have two compressors here. One worked great on one tire but then stopped working. It plugs into the car lighter.

I'll find a gas station although they tell me they are all broken due to the cold weather.

I'll try to buy one on Amazon. Man my tires are all so low. Sucks.
Cost me $1,000 for these darn tires too, last year.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts