Impala Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assuming i wanted to switch to a led reverse lamp, what else would i need other than the bulbs.What type of resistor if any?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Assuming i wanted to switch to a led reverse lamp, what else would i need other than the bulbs.What type of resistor if any?
No resistor just need a 7440 LED bulb.

·
Registered
486 Posts
it's that easy, just a bulb change?
Yes it was. The reverse light and parking lights front and back only need a new bulb. The only ones that need a resistor are the front directionals, rear directional/brake light and possibly the headlights but I would never do LED headlight over HID.

·
Registered
286 Posts
it's that easy, just a bulb change?
Yes it was. The reverse light and parking lights front and back only need a new bulb. The only ones that need a resistor are the front directionals, rear directional/brake light and possibly the headlights but I would never do LED headlight over HID.
That easy? Going to order some reverse LEDS right now if thats the case lol.. and by parking light, do you mean the front turn signals?

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
The way that I understand it is that any light that blinks need a resistor - otherwise, you can just replace the bulb itself with an LED "bulb" (no resistor required).

Although, I believe that ALL LED bulbs need to be "CANBUS" bulbs - or else you will get a "bulb out" message. At least that is how it is with the 8th gens.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
486 Posts
That easy? Going to order some reverse LEDS right now if thats the case lol.. and by parking light, do you mean the front turn signals?
No, parking lights are the bulbs that are lit when you turn on your lights but don't change brightness. Its the inner trunk lights and the outer side markers on the headlight.

·
Registered
486 Posts
The way that I understand it is that any light that blinks need a resistor - otherwise, you can just replace the bulb itself with an LED "bulb" (no resistor required).

Although, I believe that ALL LED bulbs need to be "CANBUS" bulbs - or else you will get a "bulb out" message. At least that is how it is with the 8th gens.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk
All I ever buy in canbus type, so what you are saying is a very good possibility. I did not buy $2 bulbs off ebay. All were bought through JDMASTAR. Their service is excellent and product quality is very good. Any question call them before ordering and they will help you out.

·
Registered
286 Posts
No, parking lights are the bulbs that are lit when you turn on your lights but don't change brightness. Its the inner trunk lights and the outer side markers on the headlight.
Whats the rear parking lamp bulb size? Front is a t10/194. Brake lights are 7443. Reverse is 7440. Low beam d3s HID. Also looking for the front turn signal turn bulb size

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All I ever buy in canbus type, so what you are saying is a very good possibility. I did not buy $2 bulbs off ebay. All were bought through JDMASTAR. Their service is excellent and product quality is very good. Any question call them before ordering and they will help you out.
What bulbs do you recommend for the reverse lights bro

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
486 Posts
Whats the rear parking lamp bulb size? Front is a t10/194. Brake lights are 7443. Reverse is 7440. Low beam d3s HID. Also looking for the front turn signal turn bulb size
194 same as front. 7444 for front signal lamp. I tried switchbacks for the front turnsignals to help with cornering light. While it did provide a bit more light the aim is way too high and WILL blind other drivers.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Reactions: LilRandySavage

·
Registered
174 Posts
I bought the JDM reverse bulbs as I've had no problems with their products in the past. They did not work in the Impala, bulbs were always on, dim when not in use. A pair of resistors would likely fix that, just been too lazy to do it. At the time some searching indicated others had the same problem, some do not, so if you ask me it's a crap shoot.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I bought the JDM reverse bulbs as I've had no problems with their products in the past. They did not work in the Impala, bulbs were always on, dim when not in use. A pair of resistors would likely fix that, just been too lazy to do it. At the time some searching indicated others had the same problem, some do not, so if you ask me it's a crap shoot.
Did you try turning the bulb 180 degrees and remounting it, if that doesn't work check the pins on the bulb you may need to flip one from the left over the top to the right on other side. Check out the diagram here, http://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...ear-is-7743-or-7740-bulb-7443-7440-wiring.jpg , it will show you the proper pinout for a 7440 bulb. I know sometime on their site you click on a link and the bulb is a slightly different version aka 7443.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Didn't try flipping them, never heard of that. I'll give it a shot when the weather warms up a little. Those bulbs are in a drawer and kind of a back burner project at the moment.

·
Registered
70 Posts
This is correct. I installed diode dynamic LED's into my dad's 2015 and it needed load resistors on the rear turn and front turn signals to resolve any hyperflashing.

I just updated this post with some information. I replaced all of the exterior lighting in my dad's 2015 with LED's.

Chevy Impala Forums - View Single Post - 2015 Impala LTZ - Progression Thread

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Reactions: The Guz

·
Registered
34 Posts
trust me you are going to need resistors, without them the reverse lamps stay on dimly lit, turning them or doing anything else others on here suggested did not work, I bought the JDM star leds and also got plug and play resistors from them and it did the trick.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts