Impala Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to drive a rental impala last week my wife hit a Deer with her VW bug had a 2016 impala lt limited. Nice car not at all impressed with the 6 speed transmission and the 3.6 v6. I will keep my trusty ls4.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
my wife has had a 14 or newer loaner once or twice when her car was in the shop under warranty work. i feel the motor was nice and ran well when i jumped on it around a corner (broke the tires loose on a right hand turn at about 20 mph (i was impressed)). the handling seemed a bit softer (i'm used to my 10 impala LS with worn struts however and like the way it handles). overall i liked it a lot especially the back seat room (the 2010 is cramped back there for leg space/getting in and out of the back seat).

i can see your point however, going from an SS down to a 6 cylinder is less torque from what i've heard and the 6 speed takes some getting used to because of the way the transmission runs. keep in mind i'm running a 3.5 vs a 5.3 like you. unfortunately an SS probly won't be available for a few more years if ever due to increasing emissions. i mean for a replacement to the SS that 3.6 seems pretty solid. apparently a tune wakes them up nicely as well. the tune on that drivetrain is pretty mellow because they don't want grandma doing burnouts every time she touches the gas! lol

just my two cents.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Yeah, with the 3.6l, the real power doesn't come on until you get up over 3500 RPM's - but once you get the RPMs up, it really pulls hard for a V6. And generally speaking, people usually prefer what they're used to. If you give it some time to get used to the V6 and 6-speed, it's not bad. Although, I will certainly agree that the 6-speed definitely takes some getting used to - and can be improved a lot with a tune.

One definite benefit is gas mileage (compared to the LS4) - and similar power levels. The SS has more torque, so you have more power from the stand-still, but once you are moving, the 3.6l does quite well.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
The 3.6 also seemed to grow on me, and seems to adjust to driving habits. I also feel it is better balanced in general and less nose-heavy and handles better than my 2009 Super Sport did before I installed the strut Tower brace bars. With that said, nothing beats the sound and growl of the LS4. Definitely faster. Definitely inferior gas mileage. It's all about trade-offs.

·
Registered
590 Posts
It's the drag car vs road racer thing.

Big block chevy's are killer in a straight line, just don't try to slalom in real world traffic.

I've had a lot of different vehicles in my life, and my foot has been to the floor a million times, but for real world travel, the 3.6 and 6T70 are worlds above what is out there to use as pylons for slalom play.

All the SS Impalas I see are doing 70 in the middle lane with perfect paint finishes.

I let off to lol.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I just bought a 2014 Limited a couple of weeks ago. I am not overly impressed with the 6 speed automatic in terms of when it shifts. It is not a big deal right now though since 99% of my mileage is interstate commuting back and forth to work. I am looking at the Overkill tuning package and am definitely going to do something there in the future. Seems like everyone who has bought the tune package from him has posted very favorable results with it.

I like the 2006 up SS Impalas. Not a fan of the transmissions in them simply because they were not built to be reliable from GM from the get go. Too many Grand Prix GXP, Monte SS and Impala SS guys have done rebuilds because they can't handle the stock power well, let alone modded cars. My GTP required a trans build when the forward apply band broke and the shop that built it upgraded all of the stock garbage that was known to fail and require a tear down. GM lost their way with transmissions some time ago and I hope they found there way back with these more expensive 5, 6 and 8 speed automatics.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Well, one of the reasons why you don't like the way that the 6-speed shifts is because they basically reduce engine power during the shifts (via timing reductions). This is done to make the trans last longer. Unfortunately, GM seems to have gone from "great feel" shifts (4-speeds) to "great longevity" shifts (6-speeds). In my opinion, they went a little too far with the timing reductions though, which makes the shifts feel very strange and "uncomfortable". I kind of wish they went the middle of the road between longevity and comfort...

I had originally purchased the Overkill tune for my 2012, but found that it made the shifts a little too "firm" for my liking. Since I really wasn't looking for a performance increase, I ended up just reverting to the stock tune and then customizing it from there to *my* liking (using HPTuners). While still not perfect, it does feel a lot better since I:

- Reduced the amount of torque management being applied during the shifts (between 5% and 15% reduction depending on RPM/engine torque)
- Reduced the length of time for the shifts (basically, reduces how long the torque management is active during shifts).
- Disabled skip shifts (didn't like the "abrupt" downshifts when I only wanted to accelerate slightly)
- Modified shift points slightly (don't' shift into 6th gear so quickly as well as some other shift point modifications).
- Modified TCC apply/release speeds (disabled TCC apply in gears 1-3 don't apply in any gear if over a certain pedal position)

I also modified the gas pedal sensitivity to make the pedal feel more "alive" (camaro-like pedal sensitivity) as well as some other tune changes. If you get an HPTuner device, you can really dial this stuff in to exactly the way that *you* want things. Highly recommended!

All of that being said, the VAST majority of people love the Overkill tune - but I was going more for "comfort" tuning as opposed to "performance" tuning, so my goals weer different than most. So you may very well be happy with the Overkill tune too.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Yep, GM and Ford both co-developed the 6-speed in order to keep costs down. They do have different tuning though (not just the parameter values of the tune, but completely different "logic" as well). Kinda funny - I always loved the way GM's shifted and hated the way Fords shifted - now they're both pretty much in the middle. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts