Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slow to start up! Again I have replaced the battery and alternator on this car in the last 2 weeks but to no avail. Has anyone had these type of electrical start-up problems as well. Do u have any idea what to do to fix it? I guess I need to take it back to the dealer and let them put it on a tester.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Slow to start up! Again I have replaced the battery and alternator on this car in the last 2 weeks but to no avail. Has anyone had these type of electrical start-up problems as well. Do u have any idea what to do to fix it? I guess I need to take it back to the dealer and let them put it on a tester.

Do you mean the engine starter operates slowly, but then the engine starts? Or do you mean the engine starter operates normally, but the engine is slow to start?

If the starter is cranking slowly, it is usually caused by a defective ground connection(s), or loose and/or corroded battery terminal connectors.

Were any aftermarket battery terminal connectors installed on the existing cable(s)? If so, look for corrosion creeping into the cut-end of the cable, near the connectors.

If the engine is slow to start, but it cranks normally, it is often caused by a defective fuel pressure regulator, that permits the fuel pressure to bleed-off when the engine is turned off. When the starter cranks the engine, it takes a moment to build-up fuel pressure.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
May also have the starter tested for free at a parts store. All connections clean, bright and tight? ^+1 with possible cable corrosion under the sheathing/insulation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
May also have the starter tested for free at a parts store. All connections clean, bright and tight? ^+1 with possible cable corrosion under the sheathing/insulation.
The issue at the auto store is that they are not getting any charge on my new battery when they test it. That’s when I got a new alternator put on. I guess I’ll have to check the starter and the ground next.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts