Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The auto shop wanted over $500 to do this replacement! This is not the 2 small blend door and air recirc motors. This is the one up in the dash to the left of the glove box in front of the blend motor. It calls to pull back Dash and drip heater core to get to it. I’m going to try and cut the left side of dash in the glove box cubby to access the motor without taking dash down. Got to find the motor part too.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
The auto shop wanted over $500 to do this replacement! This is not the 2 small blend door and air recirc motors. This is the one up in the dash to the left of the glove box in front of the blend motor. It calls to pull back Dash and drip heater core to get to it. I’m going to try and cut the left side of dash in the glove box cubby to access the motor without taking dash down. Got to find the motor part too.
Thoughts?
It's been a while since I did that actuator (mode selector aka vent selector), but, on the gen8 Impalas including the Limited, it can be replaced without removing the dash or heater core.

Cutting a small hole in the left end of the glove box was required, as I recall. Seems like there were 3 screws, and 2 of them could be accessed from below the dash (after removing some panels), but the 3rd one needed the hole in the glove box. I'm thinking that hole is on the order of 1 or 2 square inches, maybe as small as a ½" circle, if you can line it up well enough. That is, the left end of the glove box need not be trashed to do this.

I believe the screws are 5.5mm (almost exactly 7/32"). A swivel socket that size may be helpful, or maybe a swivel adapter.

Good luck with your project. Let us know how it turns out.

Doug

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wolfgang614
Registered

Joined 4 mo ago
6 Posts
Discussion Starter • #10 a moment ago
I replaced both actuator motors and tried resetting the fuse. Neither solved the issue. I ended up cutting out part of the glove box wall on the left side to access the A/C blend door motor (auto shop wanted $650 to drop heater core and access this tiny motor. Got the part at Rock Auto for like $25. Once box wall was cut out, I could access this motor. Replaced and tested it fine. The A/C was blowing out at the vent so I set the motor gear to the far left rotation for vent setting so once I reinstalled it, the gear would be on the proper setting. Went back together easy and now all my air blows out where it should and when it should. Took about an hour. So happy I did this. I posted this somewhere else on this site but cannot find it.
Hope this helps others.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts