Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Special Coverage# N182186881

Quick rundown of my current story regarding my 2016 Impala LTZ.

My AC was blowing hot so I took it to a local shop who identified the evaporator core as needing to be replaced. I was furious that a car this age would need that kind of repair. Searched online and found that GM issued a special coverage bulletin regarding 2016-2018 Impalas and this exact issue. It acknowledges a problem with the evaporator cores and that GM will repair free of charge. Google the above bulletin # for full special coverage bulletin.

I call my local dealership and give them the bulletin number. They tell me my vin # is not covered and that I have to call GM customer service. So I call GM customer service and have a horrible and unsatisfactory discussion with a low level representative who is ultimately only able to tell me that my VIN # is not covered and therefore I am not eligible for the special coverage. They give me a case # and tell me to work through my local dealership.

I speak with my local dealership who says they will have to confirm that it is the evaporator core and they can then appeal to GM for special coverage. They confirm the issue is the exact issue covered in the bulletin but that GM only offered to pay $180 towards the repair with no explanation. I was told I would have to call GM to get an explanation. So I call the customer service line again and I have the exact same conversation as the first time with what sounds like another foreign customer service rep. They literally have zero new information. They cannot answer why GM only offered to cover $180 of the $1800 repair and they told me there was no manager or anyone else they could send me to for clarification. Their customer service line is an absolute joke.

I am now waiting for a call back from the dealership. I am beyond frustrated and dissatisfied with GM regarding this issue and will likely never purchase a GM vehicle again as a result.

If you have an issue with your evaporator core in your Chevy Impala, call GM and report it. Obviously they are faulty and GM has acknowledged this fact even if they give you the run around.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wow . What a ( insert a bad word here) horrible thing your going through . Man I hope something good comes out of this and it works out for you in the end . Wish the best to you right now . Fingers crossed this get resolved !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow . What a ( insert a bad word here) horrible thing your going through . Man I hope something good comes out of this and it works out for you in the end . Wish the best to you right now . Fingers crossed this get resolved !
Thanks for the well wishes. And the worst part for me is that I've been happy with the car until this incident. There is no reason for the evaporator core to go out on a 4 year old car and GM has laid it out plain as day with that special coverage bulletin that it is an issue outside of the owners' control and outside of reasonable automotive ownership expectations.

Yet for some reason they think my 2016 Impala is unique and I should be responsible for bearing the $1800 repair costs.

Still no explanation from GM. 4 days now since they confirmed the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Special Coverage# N182186881

Quick rundown of my current story regarding my 2016 Impala LTZ.

My AC was blowing hot so I took it to a local shop who identified the evaporator core as needing to be replaced. I was furious that a car this age would need that kind of repair. Searched online and found that GM issued a special coverage bulletin regarding 2016-2018 Impalas and this exact issue. It acknowledges a problem with the evaporator cores and that GM will repair free of charge. Google the above bulletin # for full special coverage bulletin.

I call my local dealership and give them the bulletin number. They tell me my vin # is not covered and that I have to call GM customer service. So I call GM customer service and have a horrible and unsatisfactory discussion with a low level representative who is ultimately only able to tell me that my VIN # is not covered and therefore I am not eligible for the special coverage. They give me a case # and tell me to work through my local dealership.

I speak with my local dealership who says they will have to confirm that it is the evaporator core and they can then appeal to GM for special coverage. They confirm the issue is the exact issue covered in the bulletin but that GM only offered to pay $180 towards the repair with no explanation. I was told I would have to call GM to get an explanation. So I call the customer service line again and I have the exact same conversation as the first time with what sounds like another foreign customer service rep. They literally have zero new information. They cannot answer why GM only offered to cover $180 of the $1800 repair and they told me there was no manager or anyone else they could send me to for clarification. Their customer service line is an absolute joke.

I am now waiting for a call back from the dealership. I am beyond frustrated and dissatisfied with GM regarding this issue and will likely never purchase a GM vehicle again as a result.

If you have an issue with your evaporator core in your Chevy Impala, call GM and report it. Obviously they are faulty and GM has acknowledged this fact even if they give you the run around.
Im having the same problem on my 2018 model! 2,000 to repair that I don’t have! What’s the gm number?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mines blowing hot as well. However it came back on for about 10 mins, I turned car off. Compressor stayed running whole time, I know they used to cycle in older cars. Today, compressor not running. Usually if its a Evap, the gas is gone, so the compressor wont turn on, kinda confused.
Tested the relay with a 9v battery and Ohm meter, still good.

Does the TSB mean they have to work on it? It says it in black and white they cover it for 6yrs 72k miles. Is it fake maybe?

·
Registered
4 Posts
It’s definitely not fake. I called today and was told the same thing as Michael. My cars VIN isn’t ”covered” but they will do an investigation. I think people need to keep calling them. I mean, obviously it’s something they are aware of. There has to be something we can do to make them be held accountable for it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It’s definitely not fake. I called today and was told the same thing as Michael. My cars VIN isn’t ”covered” but they will do an investigation. I think people need to keep calling them. I mean, obviously it’s something they are aware of. There has to be something we can do to make them be held accountable for it.
If you are having this issue, call and open a case! Make sure they give you a reference number!

The dealership finally contacted me. Says they spoke with no one at GM, just entered it into a computer system and it immediately returned that they would cover $180 of the charge. The manager of the dealership said he has no contact at GM to appeal to. The customer service rep at GM said the dealership manager would act as my contact with GM. It's bull!

I called GM again today and was told they were putting me through to a "manager." I sat on hold for 45 minutes, hung up and called them back. They then said no managers were available and I should expect a call back tomorrow. So who was I waiting on hold for for 45 minutes?

I am still pressing until I am given an explanation. I will write the GM corporate office if I cannot get a legitimate GM rep. If I get a name or number that is helpful I will share it here.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Turns out its the Condensor Coil at the radiator, allegedly. We'll see. Mine has tons of rock chips on the front, black car, I suspect it was a rental in the beginning. 32k miles in one year.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You could always pay for it, send in a ---nice suggestive-- letter with the receipt, for reimbursement. Send it Certified to wherever it should go. Give a 30 day response requirement in that letter also. After that, file a suit locally at your Judge Judy(small claims court.) From what I've been told, big companies won't send their lawyers to your town over $2k plus court cost, they usually send you the check plus your filing fees for court. Idk for sure, worth a shot. You got the TSB in your hand, no way you could loose a case like that. Its a safety hazard, you cant breathe freon.

Don't be pushy or demand stuff, just ask.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you are having this issue, call and open a case! Make sure they give you a reference number!

The dealership finally contacted me. Says they spoke with no one at GM, just entered it into a computer system and it immediately returned that they would cover $180 of the charge. The manager of the dealership said he has no contact at GM to appeal to. The customer service rep at GM said the dealership manager would act as my contact with GM. It's bull!

I called GM again today and was told they were putting me through to a "manager." I sat on hold for 45 minutes, hung up and called them back. They then said no managers were available and I should expect a call back tomorrow. So who was I waiting on hold for for 45 minutes?

I am still pressing until I am given an explanation. I will write the GM corporate office if I cannot get a legitimate GM rep. If I get a name or number that is helpful I will share it here.
I did call them, now I’m waiting on dealer to call me back. They opened up and investigation! This is crazy

·
Registered
4 Posts
You could always pay for it, send in a ---nice suggestive-- letter with the receipt, for reimbursement. Send it Certified to wherever it should go. Give a 30 day response requirement in that letter also. After that, file a suit locally at your Judge Judy(small claims court.) From what I've been told, big companies won't send their lawyers to your town over $2k plus court cost, they usually send you the check plus your filing fees for court. Idk for sure, worth a shot. You got the TSB in your hand, no way you could loose a case like that. Its a safety hazard, you cant breathe freon.

Don't be pushy or demand stuff, just ask.
Thank you for the suggestion! My husband did discuss a suit

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for the suggestion! My husband did discuss a suit
After being told a supervisor would call me in 3-4 days, I received a call from another stooge at their customer service who fed me the same bullshit line about my VIN not being covered in the revision. The exact same line I've been given since the first call. Still no explanation as to why. "That's between GM and the federal government" he said. Wtf?

So I've wasted another 4 days on account of their stalling methods.

They have me the GM address where I can write with my complaint. And I will.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts