Impala Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks for contacting us John. I was about to reply to your comments here, or in another thread that there have actually been some factory updates to solve some of these transmission shift quality issues, we can check to see if your vehicle is affected and offer an update.

I've got an engineer assigned and looking into your ticket as we speak. Please allow 2-4 business days for a reply with an update to the ticket.
I have already heard back from Trifecta and they sent me another tune file as they said my car did have a factory update available to firm up the shifts. I will install it and test it for a few days and post the results.

Great customer service on the part of Trifecta, I only wish I contacted them a few months ago when I bought the tune, my mistake.

John

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well Trifecta did find a update from GM to firm up the shifts and they sent it to me. I installed it and was so hopeful that this would fix the issue but no luck, the shifts feel just a little better but they still have almost the same delay or lag in the 1-2 and 2-3 shift.

I did report back to Trifecta that it really didn't help and they said the next time their engineers work on the Impala they will put it on the list of things to look at. They will notify me if they come out with a update but who knows how long it will take, I wouldn't think it is high on their priority list as they probably don't sell many Impala tunes.

John

·
Registered
603 Posts
I live in the Northeast and the temps are dropping. I noticed that the transmission shifts seem to be smoother in colder weather. Not sure if this is just a coincidence. Anyone else notice if the temperatures affect their car too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same happened to me, I have a 2015 impala v6, car hesitates when shifting and over accelerates when I step on the gas. Car also down shifts when not needed, very annoying! I didn't notice hesitation in the test drive but my head was in a whirlwind during the purchasing process. When I got home and ran the numbers, I noticed that the dealer had charged me an extra $290 fee for cleaning and detailing... they returned the money when I complained about the hidden charge. Back to lagging problem, I notice the car was not receptive to light gas pedal pressure and had erratic shifting at lower speeds. I took car to dealer and was told the "smart transmission" need to get used to my driving habits....a year later the issue is driving me nuts..... a $33,000 lemon? I love the body design but have started to look at other cars and ready to take a several thousand dollar hit because it's the worst performing car I have owned in my life!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have same issue,with my 2015 ltz with only 12,000 miles.
It has been doing this since i bought it and it seems to be getting worse.
Guess I better get it to dealer before the warranty expires.

·
Registered
603 Posts
You can have them look at it but it's just how the Transmission is. Not much you can do about it. They will tell you it's normal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2015 LTZ shifting issue...

Yes I have it to. I absolutely loved this car and told everyone it was the best car I ever bought- I got it new. Up to 70,000 I rarely noticed the issue....now it happens all of the time. The hotter the car gets- from driving or outside temps the worst it is. I am at 85,000 miles, warranty up soon and its been in 3 times with no resolve. Has anyone had this fixed- it does cause your head and body to move forward waiting for the shift from 1-2 and 2-3. Is this only in 2015's?

·
Registered
1 Posts
same problem in 2018 Impala

YES! I have the same problem - the lag in transmission shifting from 1st to 2nd gear and the from 2nd to 3rd gear. The lag is about 1 second but the deceleration while waiting is enough for my head to move forward. Beyond 3rd gear, I don't notice this issue. I haven't yet taken my Impala to a dealership (it's only got about 600 kilometres). I didn't notice this issue when I test drove an Impala (different car than mine; mine was factory ordered)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wow, I thought I had gone over the edge. I am getting the same thing with the 2017 LX I bought with 22K miles on it. Took to dealer last week and they said they found trans fluid down 1.5 quarts. Could not find leak. My thoughts are they used the low fluid as a way of explaining a poor trans design. I've never seen trans fluid just disappear.

Another thing I discovered is that if you have the cruise set and step on the gas pedal it seems to act like the traction control kicks in. It may not be the traction control, but it has that feeling. I'll give it a try again when I get out on the highway. I'll also start a new thread on the subject.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Wow - while I admittedly was never a huge fan of the 6-speed trans in my 2012 (same trans as the 9th gens), I have never experienced issues like are being talked about here - and after some "fine tuning" with HPTuners, I'm actually pretty satisfied with the trans shifting now.

So the 1->2 and 2->3 shift issues mentioned here sound particularly annoying for sure - and you guys are saying that it didn't always shift like this? It only started shifting poorly after you had the car for a while?

These trans are VERY sensitive to fluid levels - and there is a specific method you need to use to check the fluid level. If you just start the car and check the trans fluid level, you will end up overfilling the trans, which is VERY bad on these transmissions. The transmission fluid needs to be between 180F and 200F degrees in order to get a valid level reading. According to someone who is VERY familiar with these transmissions, if you check the fluid level while cold, it should just barely touch the very bottom of the dipstick.

Again, over-filling these transmissions (even a little) is very bad for them - so make sure to check the level properly and adjust if needed! If someone checks it while cold (and is unfamiliar with these transmissions), they could very well overfill it and cause you nothing but grief.

Sent from my TbooK 16 Pro(E5C8) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've searched all over the web, thinking I couldn't be the only one to have this issue, but I'm not seeing anyone else posting about it. Which tells me I may have a problem with my new Impala.

I bought a new 2015 2LTZ this weekend. I am in love with this car, but I'm starting to get irritated with the shift hesitation under light acceleration. At highway speeds, I never even feel the shifts, but driving around town, especially 1-2 and 2-3 shifts after a stop light, the hesitation is so significant (~1 second) that I find my head moving forward as the car decelerates and my body prematurely anticipates the next gear engaging (which it's not doing quickly enough). I thought it was just a matter of getting used to the change from a 4-speed to a 6-speed, but I'm not so sure. I've given it a few days now, and instead of getting used to it, I'm starting to get annoyed.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Hi what was the findings for this problem?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi what was the findings for this problem?
This is just my opinion, not an official "finding". But, it's just a bad design. My '16 Traverse does this exact thing with only the 2-3 shift. Didn't happen for the first 42-44k miles or so. It started as a "first shift of the day" thing, but after a few months it now does it consistently the same way every time for about 5 months now. The only way to avoid it is to back off to a much lighter throttle just before the shift.
Dealership/GM won't do anything about it and will likely tell you it's working as designed. Although that may be technically true. I was told by a tranny mechanic that I run into some times, that this neutral pause (apparently called a shift flare) before engaging the next gear is likely designed to protect the gears/clutches from out-of-spec line pressures. The "fall-on-your-face" pause may be protecting your tranny from damage that would shorten it's life otherwise. But he did stipulate that it was just a guess on his part not working with GM.
I feel that it seems to be a learned behavior based on driving style and line pressures. We had to have some tranny work done under warranty for heavy chatter under moderate-heavy acceleration in 1 and 2 with the Traverse. We had to have it worked on 3 times before it was finally fixed because GM would never approve a full rebuild, only a few components that they thought may have been the issue. Then it would be bad again after a few weeks of driving and had to effectively be rebuilt farther than before. Each time, the TCM was reset and the 2-3 pause wouldn't happen until driven for a while. And it wouldn't do it all the time at first.
Kind of wondering if I drove it easier during that "learn" period, if it wouldn't happen anymore after that? Or if the tranny keeps monitoring regularly and the problem would just show up later. I would imagine it continues monitoring, since the problem usually isn't present from the start.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Change transmission fluid and filter. Make sure inside pan magnet is clean. There’s a shift valve that collects metal shavings due the fact that energized coil attracts them. Worst case scenario you’ll need to change valve. It’s located under side cover. This option costs more than a transmission service, but you can have pan dropped and filter changed. Then have transmission flushed. Don’t be convinced to do this one any other way. You use more fluid but transmission will be clean, and next service will be much longer. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The filter on the 6 speed is not serviceable without trans removal. The Trans Pan is Vertical not Horizontal. There is a drain plug though, all you can do on these cars is drain & fill.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts