Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched all over the web, thinking I couldn't be the only one to have this issue, but I'm not seeing anyone else posting about it. Which tells me I may have a problem with my new Impala.

I bought a new 2015 2LTZ this weekend. I am in love with this car, but I'm starting to get irritated with the shift hesitation under light acceleration. At highway speeds, I never even feel the shifts, but driving around town, especially 1-2 and 2-3 shifts after a stop light, the hesitation is so significant (~1 second) that I find my head moving forward as the car decelerates and my body prematurely anticipates the next gear engaging (which it's not doing quickly enough). I thought it was just a matter of getting used to the change from a 4-speed to a 6-speed, but I'm not so sure. I've given it a few days now, and instead of getting used to it, I'm starting to get annoyed.

Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
568 Posts
How does manual mode compare?

You should give the tranny some time. Manual says something about no hard accelerations or manual mode first xxxx miles or something. (It is less than the v6 camaro requirement from what i remember).

But 1 to 2 after 6k miles for me is really soft. I don't feel any shift.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Manual mode shifting is firm, but I'm not sure I drove the same way when in manual mode. I'll give it a try later today and see if the tranny is just slow, or if it appears to be more of a software issue being overly gentle with the shifting.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I've searched all over the web, thinking I couldn't be the only one to have this issue, but I'm not seeing anyone else posting about it. Which tells me I may have a problem with my new Impala.

I bought a new 2015 2LTZ this weekend. I am in love with this car, but I'm starting to get irritated with the shift hesitation under light acceleration. At highway speeds, I never even feel the shifts, but driving around town, especially 1-2 and 2-3 shifts after a stop light, the hesitation is so significant (~1 second) that I find my head moving forward as the car decelerates and my body prematurely anticipates the next gear engaging (which it's not doing quickly enough). I thought it was just a matter of getting used to the change from a 4-speed to a 6-speed, but I'm not so sure. I've given it a few days now, and instead of getting used to it, I'm starting to get annoyed.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Did the transmission issue occur during your test drive before you bought the car? (I have a 2014 Impala 2LTZ, purchased new, that shifts very smoothly).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did the transmission issue occur during your test drive before you bought the car? (I have a 2014 Impala 2LTZ, purchased new, that shifts very smoothly).
I do not recall having this issue during the test drive, but I may not have noticed. There is so much to process during a test drive. (I test-drove the vehicle I purchased.)

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I do not recall having this issue during the test drive, but I may not have noticed. There is so much to process during a test drive. (I test-drove the vehicle I purchased.)

You may want to talk to the service department and see if there are any updates for the transmission software.

On my 2014 Impala 2LTZ, the service department has done numerous software updates to correct defects that surfaced very quickly (and also two safety recalls that involved software issues). One software update or reprogram or recalibration involved the passenger presence system (airbag) that malfunctioned on the way home from the dealership the day we bought the car new.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did see that thread, but it appeared to be related to the transmission hunting for gears, whereas my issue is more the lag between disengaging one gear and engaging the next. It doesn't seem to be hunting up or down, or skipping gears, just taking too long to move out of one gear and into the next.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'm sure the transmission was tuned for Gas mileage. Chevy should have installed a a touring mode, a sport mode, etc... but GM still views Chevy as the Blue Collar brand. You may have an actual transmission issue but I think what most people complain about is the shifting patterns of this transmission. I have a WOT tune but haven't installed it yet. I'm hoping that tune gives me the more aggressive shifts I've been looking for. The car has a great V6 Engine but Chevy was afraid to unleash the beast because of Gas Mileage restrictions

·
Registered
375 Posts
My 14 Imp shifts very smooth under light acceleration and firm when getting on the pedal hard to pass or getting up to 70+ on an on ramp. I dig the 6 speed tranny. It shifts similar to the 6 speed in my 13 Suburban. I never feel that it's "gear hunting" or shifting early. If anything, the Suburban shifts early between 5th and 6th which results in a downshift back to 5th sometimes. I will admit I'm pretty loaded when this happens. Usually on a vacation trip back to GA hauling a lot of gear. I know ithe Imp got a software update soon after purchase.. Either way, yours is not right. Never had a hesitant shift.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies, folks. I'm heading to the dealer this evening to take a spin in another 2LTZ on their lot and see if there is a difference. I'll report back here tomorrow on what I find out.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, folks. I'm heading to the dealer this evening to take a spin in another 2LTZ on their lot and see if there is a difference. I'll report back here tomorrow on what I find out.
be wary of this. once you tell them the new car does it too, you have leg to stand on

I felt slight vib in even a new car so they told me pound sand about my steering wheel vibrating . honesty doesn't pay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I drove the other 2LTZ on their lot. It also only had ~20 miles on it. I could feel the shifting (not unusual), but the hesitation definitely seems more pronounced in mine. I may give it a bit more time and see if things smooth out. However, even my wife, who is not generally "in-tune" with vehicle behavior, mentioned how hard it was to get used to her head bobbing when the transmission shifted. So, I still think something is odd.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I drove the other 2LTZ on their lot. It also only had ~20 miles on it. I could feel the shifting (not unusual), but the hesitation definitely seems more pronounced in mine. I may give it a bit more time and see if things smooth out. However, even my wife, who is not generally "in-tune" with vehicle behavior, mentioned how hard it was to get used to her head bobbing when the transmission shifted. So, I still think something is odd.

My 2015 2LTZ tranny is smooth and certainly doesn't make heads bob when shifting.
Something is surely wrong with yours.
IceMan2

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
My 2015 2LTZ tranny is smooth and certainly doesn't make heads bob when shifting.
Something is surely wrong with yours.
IceMan2
The problem is going to be getting GM to agree that something is wrong! That's what sucks about these warranties - unless it's completely broken or a code is present, you will get the normal responses of "it's normal", "it's working as designed", etc... I can almost guarantee that nothing will be done about it, which is unfortunate.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
55 Posts
i was driving around with my friend for about half an hour at low speed and then stopped for approximately 10 mins
by the time i decided to move on to go home the shifting was too weird, even at light acceleration the car moves back and forth when shifting

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Yeah, these transmission are kinda strange - they'll act perfectly at times and other times they act "funny". I've been datalogging and trying to tune mine for a while - sometimes its perfect and other times it acts strangely. From what I've read, it's just the way they are... They also don't handle sudden, large throttle changes very well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
9 Posts
My thread (Corvette Kid) indicated the same issues. Strange upshifting, down shifting and a forward surge when stopping. It also bothers me. My 2LTZ has 7K miles and the problem seems to be getting more frequent. No trouble codes are indicated on the instrument panel. Took it to two different dealers and they find no trouble codes and indicate no applicable software updates for the car. My sister in law has the exact same car and she is complaining. Guys are using HPtuners to reset their trans. related computer software. Dealer will do nothing if no trouble codes show. I think that unless there is a code the dealer will do nothing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Greetings, your not alone my 2014 w/ 29k does this exact thing to the T. My head just kind of hangs waiting for the gear change and nothing happens for a moment.... Additionally when I am coming to a stop the car just jumps, lurches, shakes however you want to word it as if its downshifting roughly or something.... although I have noticed when hammering the throttle to merge into traffic around 52-56 my car will sometimes redline and not shift or it will sometimes slip when downshifting into what I assume is 2nd gear. I have learned to live with this. Quite frankly I wouldn't mind if the transmission failed so I could have it replaced. Its starting to become a pet peeve of mine...

1 - 20 of 56 Posts