Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Impala with almost 18,000 miles on it now. The last week I have noticed that anytime the transmission goes from 3rd to 4th gear the rpms rise by a few hundred before it will switch. This causes a delay in switching gears. It will do it no matter how I accelerate. I have the trifecta tune but don't think this is the cause as it will still do it when I engage cruise control(tune off). Am I the only one experiencing this issue?

PS. I have the 3.6l v6.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have caught a slip or 2 with only 5k, when it happens as you described it seems the tranny is confused and doesn't react well till it slams into gear. Unless you can get it to reproduce this error I'm guessing Chevy will just ignore you. If you can reproduce it get it to the dealer soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to get an appt set up for next week. It does it every time now. Will see what they say.

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
Thankfully, the Trifecta tune is "invisible". So unless you tell them you have a tune, they won't know.

That being said, I would put the stock tune back on before taking it to the dealership. That will also tell you for sure whether or not it's tune-related or not.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

·
Supporting Vendor
80 Posts
Always flash back to stock using our solution when going in for dealer service to ensure a trouble free visit. It takes 15 minutes :)

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Always flash back to stock using our solution when going in for dealer service to ensure a trouble free visit. It takes 15 minutes :)

So the OP has a modification done to his vehicle which may have affected his transmission. Clearly he has violated the terms of his new car and power train warranty.

You want him to "flash back to stock" so GM will have to pay for the damage? That sounds like fraud to me.

·
Registered
479 Posts
So the OP has a modification done to his vehicle which may have affected his transmission. Clearly he has violated the terms of his new car and power train warranty.

You want him to "flash back to stock" so GM will have to pay for the damage? That sounds like fraud to me.
And we ALL already paid to bailout GM's ass. Your point? If the tranny wasn't so poor to start with most wouldn't even consider a tune. Troll away.........:bang:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will definitely be going back to stock with it before it goes in next Friday. This isn't a car that's driven hard either, so hopefully it's a simple fix.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Never noticed a 3-4 slip but sometimes the shifts are slow in general.

First thing I would check is the fluid level, there is apparently a dipstick for it but the manual says this:

There is a special procedure for checking and changing the transmission fluid. Because this procedure is difficult, you should have this done at your dealer service department. Contact your dealer for additional information or the procedure can be found in the service manual. To purchase a service manual, see Service Publications Ordering Information on page 13-11.
I think I read earlier on the forum that with a COLD IDLING engine, the fluid should barely touch the bottom of the dipstick - but I can't recall if this is for 8th or 9th gen cars with the six-speed auto.

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
^^That was definitely in reference to the 8th gens with the same 6-speed trans. Whether or not is also works on the 9th gens, I can't say for sure. You'd think it would work though since it's the same trans.

Is there actually a dipstick on the 9th gens?

·
Registered
227 Posts
^^That was definitely in reference to the 8th gens with the same 6-speed trans. Whether or not is also works on the 9th gens, I can't say for sure. You'd think it would work though since it's the same trans.

Is there actually a dipstick on the 9th gens?

The top image shows the V6 and the bottom one shows the I4. On the V6, number 6 is listed as "Transmission Fluid Cap and Dipstick (Out of View)." in my 2015 manual. On the I4, it's just listed as "Transmission Fluid Cap."

So I suppose the answer is "maybe"?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
Strange... I wonder if the 4-cylinder uses the same trans? Maybe it's a 6T50 instead of a 6T70 or something?

We'll have to have someone with a V6 and a 4 cylinder model check to see if they have a trans dipstick.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 Impala with almost 18,000 miles on it now. The last week I have noticed that anytime the transmission goes from 3rd to 4th gear the rpms rise by a few hundred before it will switch. This causes a delay in switching gears. It will do it no matter how I accelerate. I have the trifecta tune but don't think this is the cause as it will still do it when I engage cruise control(tune off). Am I the only one experiencing this issue?

PS. I have the 3.6l v6.
I had the same issue when shifting into 3rd when turning left or trying to pass. Took my car in 3 times to the dealer. Each time they said no issue found and I codes. Just before I took it in for an an change at 47,000 miles, i was checking the air filter and noticed the air tube that goes from the air filter to the throtal boby had a tear in the flex part. After doing a quick fix by using electrical tape until can get a new one ordered. My shifting problems went away. The problem was extra air entering past the air flow sensor and the computer couldn't compensate and add fuel.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have read that many people notice this transmission slip. My 2015 V6 does the samething and I don't have a tune. If I drive like an old man I won't see it, if I drive aggressively I may notice it but if I drive normally I see it all the time. I think it's how they programmed the transmission software. If not then it's an issue GM will ignore until it becomes a major issue and force a recall.

Let us know what the dealer discovers if anything.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I think it's how they programmed the transmission software. If not then it's an issue GM will ignore until it becomes a major issue and force a recall.

Let us know what the dealer discovers if anything.

Lets hope that's how the transmission is programmed. Although it sounds identical to the first symptoms I got when the 35r wave plate went in my wifes G6 with the 6 speed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2017. picked up brand new with 20 miles on the odo. I have a 2-3 slippage on occasion when the trans is cold. And strangely like someone else posted, when I turn left. It briefly allows the engine to rev up about 200 rpm during the shift. the 2-3 and 3-2 shift is definitely ....screwy. Haven't taken it to the dealer yet because I cannot consistently reproduce it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
-and for whatever it is worth,,, our 2015 2LT, 3.6, etc, has always had an "odd feeling" 2 to 3rd gear shift since the day it was brand new. It occurs under light throttle, and to me it feels exactly like the second gear clutch is staying applied slightly too long after the third gear clutch applies. (it gives you a "delay" feeling, even to the point of feeling like the engine slightly loosed power during that 2-3 shift) Ours certainly doesn't feel anything like a "slipping" situation. I don't think it does this under hard acceleration, but I'll have to try that. It certainly does it with a cold engine/transmission, but I think not so much when everything is up to normal operating temps.

I agree that is probably a "programming" issue of some sort, especially since this transmission is totally computer controlled. -or I should say controlled by too many computer inputs? I really doubt it is any sort of mechanical issue,,,,

Has anyone got any more answers yet??

Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
-and for whatever it is worth,,, our 2015 2LT, 3.6, etc, has always had an "odd feeling" 2 to 3rd gear shift since the day it was brand new. It occurs under light throttle, and to me it feels exactly like the second gear clutch is staying applied slightly too long after the third gear clutch applies. (it gives you a "delay" feeling, even to the point of feeling like the engine slightly loosed power during that 2-3 shift) Ours certainly doesn't feel anything like a "slipping" situation. I don't think it does this under hard acceleration, but I'll have to try that. It certainly does it with a cold engine/transmission, but I think not so much when everything is up to normal operating temps.

I agree that is probably a "programming" issue of some sort, especially since this transmission is totally computer controlled. -or I should say controlled by too many computer inputs? I really doubt it is any sort of mechanical issue,,,,

Has anyone got any more answers yet??

Thanks.
No answers, but same problem with 2017, LT, 3.6

1 - 20 of 25 Posts