Impala Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Quick update on this. I just had the purge valve issue and it IS now covered by a program, so it can be replaced at no cost by your dealer.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
^+1. My son's '16 Limited recently initially threw a p0442 then a p0496. Swapped the purge valve out and all was fine. He came home as I was finishing up and informed me he had received a letter from GM/Chevy in Sept. stating "if" the purge valve fails, they'll fix it for free. Oh well, a day late and a dollar short, lol...

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
^+1. My son's '16 Limited recently initially threw a p0442 then a p0496. Swapped the purge valve out and all was fine. He came home as I was finishing up and informed me he had received a letter from GM/Chevy in Sept. stating "if" the purge valve fails, they'll fix it for free. Oh well, a day late and a dollar short, lol...
Seems like I saw something recently that indicated, if the repair had already been performed, they would reimburse for it, at least some of it. But I can't recall what the particular failure was.

That said, I'm thinking when such a letter comes out after the fact, that policy applies in general and that they will still help pay for the parts you're out for.

You might speak with a service writer at a dealer, or do some googling to find a regional rep to run it by.

HTH.

Doug

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
^+1 Doug, the letter contained reimbursement instrs. at the bottom but I'm only out ~$6 for a "Chinese special" from Ebay Motors. Can't be any worse than the oem Mexican Bosch, lol!

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
^ devon383, purge valve was definitely bad. Supposed to be normally "closed". I could blow/suck on both vacuum port ends. That, coupled with both codes, p0442= small evap leak and p0496= high (excessive) purge flow. It's the opposite of the vent valve behind the fuel door which is normally "open".

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
^ devon383, purge valve was definitely bad. Supposed to be normally "closed". I could blow/suck on both vacuum port ends. That, coupled with both codes, p0442= small evap leak and p0496= high (excessive) purge flow. It's the opposite of the vent valve behind the fuel door which is normally "open".
There you go. Troubleshooting found the problem and you only changed the broken stuff. Saves money doing that...:D

21 - 28 of 28 Posts