Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I pulled apart my air filter and intake boot to clean the throttle body on my 2015 Impala Limited and discovered oil on the bottom of throttle body and in the intake boot ? Looks like it is coming from the vent hose from the front valve cover to the intake boot.. What would cause this and how to stop it from happening ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
May pull your pcv barb in the rear to check if any of the 3 holes are plugged. If so, clean them out with some wire/spray cleaner and reinstall. Also, be sure its vacuum hose is clean and securely attached to its vacuum port. May also consider an oil catch can plumbed in between the pcv barb and its vacuum port. RevXtreme Motorsports (RX) and Elite are 2 good can brands. Elite is available through JDP Motorsports. Iirc, both also offer an oil separator cap which replaces your existing oil cap. The replacement cap has a removable/cleanable filter and a vacuum port. To install, you cap/plug the port on the front cam (valve) cover and run that vent hose you mentioned from the intake boot over to the new oil separator cap port. All installation hardware, hose etc. is supplied with the new can/cap.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Very common on these engines. My 16' Limited gets its intake hose cleaned regularly because of this. When I first got the car, I took it to the dealership over the issue and they claimed it was normal...while that may be true, it's unacceptable. Now that I am out of warranty, I will be looking into a catch can as Sheila has suggested above. Good luck!

·
Registered
680 Posts
I changed my air filter last weekend and actually noticed less oil in the intake hose than normal. I remember one air filter change where the bottom corner of it was saturated in oil. This last change it was bone dry. In fact, the air filter didn't even need to be changed but I did it anyway since AutoZone ran a special on STP oil change kits with a free air filter. Our filter alone is $15 plus tax at the store.

I have thought about the oil catch can and I know they work as I have one on my 2004 GTO. It is an Elite can and back in the day, it was only $100. Now the dam things can push $500 if you go for all the extras. Maybe one day, but I need blend door actuators, rear hub bearings, eventually struts, eventually tires and eventually brake pads and rotors up front.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts