Impala Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just returned for a 2k mile vacation trip and during very heavy rain when I hydro planned slightly I got two messages that popped up. Both saying I need to service power steering and stabilitrac. Called dealership this morning and they said no recalls are needed. Read some service bulletins about power steering issues. Curious if anyone has had similar experience and how much I might be facing to repair this? Have appointment for this Thursday to get it looked at. Would disconnecting my battery for a short bit be worth a try?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Wife drove her XTS to Indy. On the way back it was icy, Stability track service light came on.
Next day, started her car, service light was off. Haven't seen it on since, knock on wood.

·
Registered
286 Posts
When I first bought my car i had this problem once a week with it coming on. Did it maybe 3 or 4 times. Went away been fine ever since lol

·
Registered
590 Posts
I think the computer gets easily fooled in these cars.

I was driving down the highway, dry road, consistent speed, and I got something like 'Initializing Stabiltrac', and it took many minutes to go away.

I'd wait and see if the issue clears itself before I took it very serious.

The combination of a steering issue AND stabilitrac right after the hydroplaning is sort of suspicious and hard to take serious.

The pair are hard to take serious without hydroplaning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update... Drove 2 more days and the limited power steering wasn't worth waiting longer. Took to dealer and after 2 hours of diagnostics they determined the right rear speed sensor ring had a small 1 inch long piece missing. This looked to be a simply ring replacement, but to my bad luck the only way to replace the ring is to replace the entire hub assembly. $451 dollars later I'm back to no lights and everything is working. Not real happy on a 2 year old car... Maybe enough others will have a similar issue they will corporately do something about it. Wanted to share for others incase they have a similar issue.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I had that happen to my 2010 Malibu when it was under the bumper to bumper. Turned out to be a faulty switch and there was nothing actually wrong with the system

·
Registered
171 Posts
My wife had the service stabiltrak light come on in her 2014 Terrian. A quick search on the Terrain forums and I came to the conclusion that because we had rain here on one day and freezing temps and snow the next, there may have been some icing. When she went to leave work the light went back out. Maybe this scenario is similar to the impala service stabiltrak lights. Just a thought.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the info guys...gonna wait until the car dries alil and see if those two issues go away {insight appreciated}signal of and loss of power steering,and stablitrak,ABS...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts