Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, has anyone cleaned tbe throttle body of their Impala lately? Ive seen alot of videos but not quite sure of the best way to go at this. Ive seen use of the scan tool to open door...i dont have one, ive seen the use of accessories but my Impala does not run accessories like that. Just thinking of taking it out cleaning and plugging back in but then does it have to be relearned or codes cleared etc?

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Either remove the tb to clean, or have a "trusted" friend depress the accelerator to open the butterfly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can you move the butterfly if you take it off the car? Sounds like plastic parts inside might get damaged? Do you have to reprogram when you put it back on? Check engine light?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I've cleaned them both ways I mentioned above. Never had an issue/problem. Yes, you can move the butterfly off the car if needed or use the gas pedal method if installed. Iirc, I just cleaned front/back with it removed w/o moving the butterfly. No need for reprogramming or cel. The problem with moving the butterfly with the tb installed/hooked up is you "could" conceivably damage the tps or lose/smash/break a finger(s).

·
Registered
17 Posts
I ended up just pulling the throttle body off. Disconnected battery before I did so. Cleaned it up with crc throttle body cleaner. Opened the butterfly and everything. Put it back on with no problems. Started right up. No check engine light. Fingers crossed, no issues.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up just pulling the throttle body off. Disconnected battery before I did so. Cleaned it up with crc throttle body cleaner. Opened the butterfly and everything. Put it back on with no problems. Started right up. No check engine light. Fingers crossed, no issues. Thank you all for all your help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts