Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Impala LTZ. Recently, the navigation started acting very strange. It would give random directions even when not being used and if I tried to look up an address, it would direct me to drive to somewhere completely incorrect and very distant.

I thought it might be an issue with a computer that needed to be re-flashed. I asked a dealership service manager about this and was told to check the GPS signal strength. There is none. The service manager said that occasionally the GPS antenna will fail and quoted me ~$400 to replace it.

Has anyone else had this happen? Does anyone know what part I would be looking for and what is involved if I tried to replace it myself?

·
Registered
287 Posts
The GPS antenna is the shark fin.

Itakes about an hour or a more to replace properly if your skilled or have done it before. There are airbag tethers, and panel retainers and clips that need to be replaced to perform the job. the fin doesnt come painted.

Theres also a splitter assembly that can fail and cause issues.

Hit your OnStar blue button and ask them if they can tell you where you are. if they can and your nav shows no signal then you 99% dont have an issue with the antenna, its most likely the splitter, the HMI module or the cableing

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The GPS antenna is the shark fin.

Itakes about an hour or a more to replace properly if your skilled or have done it before. There are airbag tethers, and panel retainers and clips that need to be replaced to perform the job. the fin doesnt come painted.

Theres also a splitter assembly that can fail and cause issues.

Hit your OnStar blue button and ask them if they can tell you where you are. if they can and your nav shows no signal then you 99% dont have an issue with the antenna, its most likely the splitter, the HMI module or the cableing
I appreciate your response. Do you know where I could find info about this replacement process?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts