Impala Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought 2014 Impala LT with P235/50R18 wheels.
I suspect that it still has original OEM tires.
I strongly dislike its performance on a fresh slushy snow and want to buy some winter tires.

I am not excited about an idea of winter tires in P235/50R18 size and want to get smaller steel rims.

Do you have any experience with winter tires on smaller rims e.g. P225/60R17 or P225/65R16?
Would P225/65R16 even fit 2014 Impala LT?

According to my calculations both sizes should be OK.
wheel-size.com/calc/ agrees with me:
https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wheel1=235-50-18X6.5ET45&wheel2=205-55-16X6.5ET45&wheel3=225-45-17X7.5ET40&fcl=50mm&wcl=30mm&scl=50mm&sr=0mm

·
Registered
158 Posts
I recently bought 2014 Impala LT with P235/50R18 wheels.
I suspect that it still has original OEM tires.
I strongly dislike its performance on a fresh slushy snow and want to buy some winter tires.

I am not excited about an idea of winter tires in P235/50R18 size and want to get smaller steel rims.

Do you have any experience with winter tires on smaller rims e.g. P225/60R17 or P225/65R16?
Would P225/65R16 even fit 2014 Impala LT?

According to my calculations both sizes should be OK.
wheel-size.com/calc/ agrees with me:
https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wheel1=235-50-18X6.5ET45&wheel2=205-55-16X6.5ET45&wheel3=225-45-17X7.5ET40&fcl=50mm&wcl=30mm&scl=50mm&sr=0mm
Your biggest issue will be clearing the calipers and rotors. These cars come with some big brake setups. Me personally, I'd stick with the 18" wheel. Just find a second set to throw some snow tires on and call it a day.

·
Registered
375 Posts
If you have the original Firestone Firehawks? I would switch to a better all season tire. I had the Firstones and hated the winter traction. I can recommend General tire altimax rt43. I just saw my old Impala at local dealer with 52K on them and they still looked like they had a lot of tread left.

Pat

·
Registered
25 Posts
I put 17" steel wheels with snow tires on my 2015. Stock wheels were 19". The 17" clear the brakes. Close fit but they do clear. Have run them for 3 years now, no problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put 17" steel wheels with snow tires on my 2015. Stock wheels were 19". The 17" clear the brakes. Close fit but they do clear. Have run them for 3 years now, no problems.
Thank you very much greed!
Visually I saw a lot of space around brakes but wanted to get a confirmation from people who already did it.

Could you please share width of your winter tires? Are they P225/60R17 or else?

I had the Firstones and hated the winter traction. I can recommend General tire altimax rt43.
My personal all season preference is Goodyear Triple Thread Assurance. However this time I would like to experiment with winter tires.

Has anybody put P225/65R16 or similar on Impala?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, I used 225/60/17 tires. For wheels, I used Unique Series 83 Black #83-7713 . They are made by Cragar. They are 7" wide, 5.5" backspacing, +38mm offset. I got mine from Summit Racing. The Summit part # is CRR-83-7713. The Summit part description says they are not TPMS compatible, but I have TPMS sensors in mine, no problem. For 3 or 4 month running time I did not htink the sensors were worth the expense but wife wanted them, so what do you do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
here is what you need to do (i am assuming you have a 5x120 spacing with a 66.9/67 mm center bore).

1) purchase 4, 2013-14 malibu ltz 17x8 r1u option rims off ebay. mine were from a salvage yard and were in perfect shape and had the tpms included.

2) purchase 4, 235/60R-17 Bridgestone Blizzak WS90 snow tires. they are just a little bit larger in total than my all season tires on my stock 19in rims. they are incredible tires.

this is MUCH better than trying to find an aftermarket rim that MIGHT fit. this system fits perfectly and is a stock GM setup. it is a close fit around the calipers and front strut but it works. i wish i had found a post like this when i first started looking !! would have saved a ton of time!! :)

your welcome.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Winter Tires on smaller rims?

I have a 2014 LTZ 19" wheels useless all season tires in snow!
I bought 17" wheels from Summit Racing $60. Goodyear Wintercomand 215/65/R17 28" O.D. and Amazon sensors all total it was cheaper than snow tires for the 19" wheel $225. each.
They fit and work GREAT!
You do need lug nuts to match the wheels 14mmx1.5 I think... Stock lug nuts for alloy wheels will not work!

Hello to everyone...
My first post... MORE TO COME!

·
Super Moderator
3,915 Posts
Locations help a lot with us gauging just how much snow.

"all season" is a very rough term, use TireRack and you can compare tires some all seasons are great in snow some suck.

Here near Green Bay I put all seasons rated well in snow on my wife's car Last she had some General forget which exact model, was good with them the first winter but unhappy the second. Now she has Goodyear Weatheready and is happy so far this winter.

People fixate too much on rim diameter 18-19" on these cars is enough sidewall, 20 and the sidewall is getting too short and will affect performance. If coming down a rim size clears everything and opens up tire options great, but these days 17-19" there are a lot of choices, not like a few years ago.

Another thing to consider is if going dedicated snows and swapping to all season/summer tires you spread mileage over two set of tires. This can lead to one of both sets of tires "aging out" before they wear out. Are you willing to throw away a set of tires in 3 years or so even if they have tread left?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Another thing to consider is if going dedicated snows and swapping to all season/summer tires you spread mileage over two set of tires. This can lead to one of both sets of tires "aging out" before they wear out. Are you willing to throw away a set of tires in 3 years or so even if they have tread left?
Most tires have a shelf life of 7 Years not 3 Years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here near Green Bay I put all seasons rated well in snow on my wife's car
Here we have about as much snow as in Green Bay I assume.
However my primary concern is not about having a lot of snow on a road.
I want to have a better traction when there is just a bit of slush/snow on a pavement.

Here people already shared their experience moving two sizes down from 19" to 17".
In my case I want to move two sizes down from 18" to 16".
So far nobody shared such experience.

I suspect that my LT with 18" rims may have smaller rotors than LTZ with 19" rims.
As a result 16" wheels may be compatible with my LT.

·
Registered
3 Posts

"all season" is a very rough term, use TireRack and you can compare tires some all seasons are great in snow some suck.

Here near Green Bay I put all seasons rated well in snow on my wife's car Last she had some General forget which exact model, was good with them the first winter but unhappy the second. Now she has Goodyear Weatheready and is happy so far this winter.

People fixate too much on rim diameter 18-19" on these cars is enough sidewall, 20 and the sidewall is getting too short and will affect performance. If coming down a rim size clears everything and opens up tire options great, but these days 17-19" there are a lot of choices, not like a few years ago.

Dwayne...
I'm in Appleton, I have used dedicated winter tires since 1995 on 3 different cars and the last set on my P-71 Crown Vic lasted 6yrs. and sold with the car.
Never ever had tires "age out" if anything the summer tires last longer!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Here we have about as much snow as in Green Bay I assume.
However my primary concern is not about having a lot of snow on a road.
I want to have a better traction when there is just a bit of slush/snow on a pavement.

Here people already shared their experience moving two sizes down from 19" to 17".
In my case I want to move two sizes down from 18" to 16".
So far nobody shared such experience.

I suspect that my LT with 18" rims may have smaller rotors than LTZ with 19" rims.
As a result 16" wheels may be compatible with my LT.
Incorrect. All trim levels of the 2014-2019 Impalas have the same rotors.

·
Super Moderator
3,915 Posts
Maybe it was just the cheap Cooper's I had for snows then. By 4 years old fresh all seasons were better than the snows and o stopped using them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had 16" wheels on my 2010 Impala. 16" will not fit on the newer models. If you have a Limited they may (old body style) but I don't know if they changed anything on the Limited.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts