Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 w/ 102k on it and it started shuddering at low RPM then died on me the other day. No codes and would start right back up then die again. Fortunately I was close enough to home to coast in. Parked it next to the garage and it started right up again in the morning. I've tried several searches on here and come up with nothing. Any ideas would be welcome.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I have a 2014 w/ 102k on it and it started shuddering at low RPM then died on me the other day. No codes and would start right back up then die again. Fortunately I was close enough to home to coast in. Parked it next to the garage and it started right up again in the morning. I've tried several searches on here and come up with nothing. Any ideas would be welcome.

I’d bet the inside of your throttle body bore, and the edge of the butterfly valve is covered with “crud” - and dirty. This would prevent the necessary airflow at idle, causing the engine to stall.

Remove the throttle body air intake hose and examine the inside. If it is not shiny and clean, you will have to clean it.

Buy some spray throttle body cleaner (not carburetor cleaner - can damage oxygen sensors), and liberally spray the inside of the throttle body (cold engine and engine off), until the cleaner runs out clean. You’ll have to place number towels or paper towels under the throttle body to catch the run-off. The cleaner is very flammable - use caution.

You have an electronic throttle body - not a mechanical one. As such, don’t reach inside and move the butterfly valve with your hands or a tool. This could damage the control.

Also check the condition of your engine air filter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did some more research and I found several threads on other forums that said the same thing. Took the throttle body off and cleaned the crap out of it. The air cleaner, K&N, was fine but I cleaned it just in case. Car seems to be running fine now. Thanks for the quick reply

1 - 4 of 4 Posts